Sep 24, 2013, 12:26 PM EST
Keith Dambrot had arguably his best season as a head coach in 2012-2013, as he led Akron to a 26-6 record, a division title, a trip to the NCAA tournament and, for the first time in school history, a spot in the top 25.
Akron rewarded Dambrot with a one-year contract extension, meaning that he will continue to have as much job security as any coach in the country. Dambrot is now under contract through the 2022-2023 season.
“There’s few coaches lucky enough to have the opportunity to coach at a university they played for, where their mother was a professor and where their children attend school,” Dambrot said in a statement. “The progress we have made as a program and the commitment from The University and the community make this one of the premier jobs in the nation. I want to thank Dr. Proenza, the Board of Trustees and Tom for all they have done for us.”
Dambrot is 210-94 overall and 107-41 in the MAC during his tenure. He’s led the Zips to at least 22 wins the past six seasons. Only five other schools – Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Ohio State and Pittsburgh — can make that claim. That’s impressive company.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)