Sep 24, 2013, 12:26 PM EDT
Keith Dambrot had arguably his best season as a head coach in 2012-2013, as he led Akron to a 26-6 record, a division title, a trip to the NCAA tournament and, for the first time in school history, a spot in the top 25.
Akron rewarded Dambrot with a one-year contract extension, meaning that he will continue to have as much job security as any coach in the country. Dambrot is now under contract through the 2022-2023 season.
“There’s few coaches lucky enough to have the opportunity to coach at a university they played for, where their mother was a professor and where their children attend school,” Dambrot said in a statement. “The progress we have made as a program and the commitment from The University and the community make this one of the premier jobs in the nation. I want to thank Dr. Proenza, the Board of Trustees and Tom for all they have done for us.”
Dambrot is 210-94 overall and 107-41 in the MAC during his tenure. He’s led the Zips to at least 22 wins the past six seasons. Only five other schools — Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Ohio State and Pittsburgh — can make that claim. That’s impressive company.
- Norman Powell sees defense, rebounding as keys for UCLA 0
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)