Sep 24, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
Rashad Vaughn made news this summer when he decided to leave Robbinsdale Cooper High (Minn.) for Findlay Prep (Nev.) for his senior season of high school. The 6-foot-5 shooting guard trimmed his lists on Tuesday, and is now down to seven schools.
Arizona, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Minnesota, North Carolina and UNLV made the cut ($), according to Paul Biancardi of ESPN’s director of basketball recruiting.
“The reason he wants to do it now is that he wants to focus on the schools that he is most interested in,” Vaughn’s mentor Pete Kaffey told Biancardi on Tuesday.
Early in September, Vaughn set three official visits. He had originially intended on making his first official to Chapel Hill on Sept. 27, though that was postponed. He set an trip to Baylor on Oct. 18 and visit to Iowa State the following month. According to Ameila Rayno of the Star Tribune, don’t expect Vaughn to take an official visit to his home state of Minnesota. Vaughn has been on campus there several times before, so no need to waste one of five official visits there.
Vaughn was originally down to 11, but UConn, Georgetown, UCLA and Kentucky were all cut from contention on Tuesday. It’s the second top-10 player in the Class of 2014 to eliminate Kentucky in two days. Curie High (Ill.) big man Cliff Alexander said he cut UK because contact between them has stopped. Though, the Wildcats are still in the running for top players at both those positions.
Vaughn is ranked as the No. 7 overall player in the Class of 2014 by Rivals.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 1
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)