Sep 24, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
Rashad Vaughn made news this summer when he decided to leave Robbinsdale Cooper High (Minn.) for Findlay Prep (Nev.) for his senior season of high school. The 6-foot-5 shooting guard trimmed his lists on Tuesday, and is now down to seven schools.
Arizona, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Minnesota, North Carolina and UNLV made the cut ($), according to Paul Biancardi of ESPN’s director of basketball recruiting.
“The reason he wants to do it now is that he wants to focus on the schools that he is most interested in,” Vaughn’s mentor Pete Kaffey told Biancardi on Tuesday.
Early in September, Vaughn set three official visits. He had originially intended on making his first official to Chapel Hill on Sept. 27, though that was postponed. He set an trip to Baylor on Oct. 18 and visit to Iowa State the following month. According to Ameila Rayno of the Star Tribune, don’t expect Vaughn to take an official visit to his home state of Minnesota. Vaughn has been on campus there several times before, so no need to waste one of five official visits there.
Vaughn was originally down to 11, but UConn, Georgetown, UCLA and Kentucky were all cut from contention on Tuesday. It’s the second top-10 player in the Class of 2014 to eliminate Kentucky in two days. Curie High (Ill.) big man Cliff Alexander said he cut UK because contact between them has stopped. Though, the Wildcats are still in the running for top players at both those positions.
Vaughn is ranked as the No. 7 overall player in the Class of 2014 by Rivals.
Jun 30, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
One of the best passers in the Class of 2016, Howard Washington, committed to Butler on Tuesday.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Rick Barnes spoke publicly for the first time about accusations levied against Texas.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
A very weak class has some decent guards.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
Sindarius Thornwell and TeMarcus Blanton both underwent surgery this offseason.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum led the way for the Americans.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
Cal’s name seems to always pop up in the NBA.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
It will be expanded into a full-length movie.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s fun to watch Tacko Fall dominate high school competition.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Maverick Rowan is reportedly focused on three schools.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
UCF is losing its third-leading scorer from last season to transfer.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Xavier landed a three-star forward on Monday.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Former Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg returned to Hilton Coliseum to give one final pre-game speech before a fantasy camp.
Jun 29, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
It should not be a surprise who the best player from this class ended up being.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Tony Hawk approves this court.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Ryan has never finished below fourth in the Big Ten.
Jun 29, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Mullin has completely turned over the St. John’s roster.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT
Knight’s most famous outburst may be lost to history.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT
There are 22 total players participating in the trials.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Steve Alford now has a pair of 2017 commitments.
Jun 28, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
This is a very well thought-out statement from Martin.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)