Sep 25, 2013, 8:44 PM EST
Less than a week after narrowing his list of possible schools to three, 2014 center Ben Lammers has verbally committed to attend Georgia Tech according to Scout.com (subscription required). Lammers, who attends Alamo Heights HS in San Antonio, chose Brian Gregory’s program over fellow ACC school Miami and Marquette.
The 6-foot-10 Lammers, considered to be a top 20 prospect at his position by multiple recruiting services, joins 6-foot-2 four-star guard Tadric Jackson in Georgia Tech’s 2014 class. With the Yellow Jackets losing both Kammeon Holsey and Daniel Miller after the 2013-14 campaign, adding depth to the front court is a priority from a recruiting standpoint.
In 2014 Georgia Tech will have, in addition to Lammers, East Carolina transfer Robert Sampson and current sophomore Robert Carter to call on. But with Sampson’s decision to transfer to Georgia Tech partially influenced by a desire to improve his game facing the basket, there will still be a need for interior muscle. Even with there still being a need for big men, Georgia Tech should be strong on the perimeter for the foreseeable future.
In addition to underclassmen Chris Bolden, Marcus Georges-Hunt and Solomon Poole, the Yellow Jackets are also awaiting word on the status of Tennessee transfer Trae Golden. If Golden doesn’t receive a waiver that would allow him to play immediately, he’d also be on board for the 2014-15 campaign. Georgia Tech also adds freshmen Travis Jorgensen and 6-foot-8 wing Quinton Stephens to the program this season.
If Georgia Tech can add another interior body to the group it’s expecting to have in 2014, the program has a good shot at improving its long-term standing within the ACC.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)