Sep 25, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
While the experienced Perry Clark was added to the South Carolina coaching staff in the aftermath of Brad Underwood’s departure (he accepted the head coaching job at Stephen F. Austin), head coach Frank Martin had yet to name a replacement as his associate head coach. Wednesday the school announced that assistant Matt Figger has been promoted to associate head coach, and he’ll remain the program’s recruiting coordinator as well.
“Upon losing Brad Underwood the decision to promote Matt Figger to associate head coach was an easy one,” Martin said in the release announcing the move. “Matt has been with me from day one at Kansas State, and he is as ready as anyone can be to take on head coaching duties. I’m excited for what he brings to our program every single day, and he’ll remain responsible for the same things that he has done up to this point.
“I just want everyone to understand and know – players, and everyone who is around us – that Matt is ready to take on the challenge of being a head coach.”
Figger has more than two decades of college coaching experience, having held positions at both the Division I and junior college levels. He’s been with Martin since 2007, when Martin was named Bob Huggins’ successor at Kansas State. In 2013-14 South Carolina welcomes eight newcomers, including highly regarded guard Sindarius Thornwell and Villanova transfer Tyrone Johnson. They’ll join a roster led by guards Brenton Williams and Bruce Ellington, and forward Michael Carrera.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason (3)