Sep 26, 2013, 7:47 PM EDT
With two of their three seniors entering the 2013-14 season being big men Juvonte Reddic and Terrance Shannon, the VCU Rams have some room for new additions in the front court. Thursday afternoon it was reported by multiple outlets that head coach Shaka Smart received a fourth verbal commitment in the 2014 class in the form of 6-foot-9 forward Michael Gilmore.
Gilmore, who joins forwards Terry Larrier and Justin Tillman and guard Jonathan Williams, picked VCU over Kansas State, Georgia Tech and Miami. Gilmore attends Rickards High School in Tallahassee, Fla., and during the spring/summer he played with the Each 1 Teach 1 grassroots program that won the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam. That team included Duke commit Grayson Allen and North Carolina commit Joel Berry.
Gilmore’s seen as a top 100 prospect by multiple recruiting services, and his versatility will be an asset for the VCU program, which is looking to strengthen its status as one of the stronger programs in the Atlantic 10. The recruiting class the Rams have reeled in to this point will certainly help in that regard.
While Reddic and Shannon will be out of eligibility after this season, that doesn’t mean VCU will have a bare cupboard when Gilmore, Larrier and Tillman arrive on campus. Jarred Guest (2.1 ppg, 2.5 rpg in 2012-13) will have eligibility remaining, as will freshmen Mo-Alie Cox (redshirted last season) and Antravious Simmons.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)