Sep 26, 2013, 7:47 PM EST
With two of their three seniors entering the 2013-14 season being big men Juvonte Reddic and Terrance Shannon, the VCU Rams have some room for new additions in the front court. Thursday afternoon it was reported by multiple outlets that head coach Shaka Smart received a fourth verbal commitment in the 2014 class in the form of 6-foot-9 forward Michael Gilmore.
Gilmore, who joins forwards Terry Larrier and Justin Tillman and guard Jonathan Williams, picked VCU over Kansas State, Georgia Tech and Miami. Gilmore attends Rickards High School in Tallahassee, Fla., and during the spring/summer he played with the Each 1 Teach 1 grassroots program that won the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam. That team included Duke commit Grayson Allen and North Carolina commit Joel Berry.
Gilmore’s seen as a top 100 prospect by multiple recruiting services, and his versatility will be an asset for the VCU program, which is looking to strengthen its status as one of the stronger programs in the Atlantic 10. The recruiting class the Rams have reeled in to this point will certainly help in that regard.
While Reddic and Shannon will be out of eligibility after this season, that doesn’t mean VCU will have a bare cupboard when Gilmore, Larrier and Tillman arrive on campus. Jarred Guest (2.1 ppg, 2.5 rpg in 2012-13) will have eligibility remaining, as will freshmen Mo-Alie Cox (redshirted last season) and Antravious Simmons.
- Perimeter shot selection will be key for Louisville moving forward 0
- Tyler Ulis proves he’s Kentucky’s best point guard in 58-50 win over Louisville 3
- Film Session: Louisville-Kentucky will be a Tale of Two (Different) Defenses 1
- WCC Midseason Catchup: No. 8 Gonzaga leads the way 0
- The top 15 most improved players in college basketball 3
- Late Night Snacks: George Washington wins the Diamond Head Classic 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Arizona Wildcats 2
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville (5)
- POSTERIZED: Don’t jump with Loyola Marymount’s Evan Payne like Ron Baker did (VIDEO) (3)
- Pregame Shootaround: Six Top 15 teams in action tonight (3)
- Rashard Kelly’s last-second putback gives No. 11 Wichita State an 80-79 overtime win over Hawaii (3)
- Jim Boeheim makes fun of his team … again (3)