Sep 26, 2013, 7:47 PM EST
With two of their three seniors entering the 2013-14 season being big men Juvonte Reddic and Terrance Shannon, the VCU Rams have some room for new additions in the front court. Thursday afternoon it was reported by multiple outlets that head coach Shaka Smart received a fourth verbal commitment in the 2014 class in the form of 6-foot-9 forward Michael Gilmore.
Gilmore, who joins forwards Terry Larrier and Justin Tillman and guard Jonathan Williams, picked VCU over Kansas State, Georgia Tech and Miami. Gilmore attends Rickards High School in Tallahassee, Fla., and during the spring/summer he played with the Each 1 Teach 1 grassroots program that won the EYBL Finals at the Nike Peach Jam. That team included Duke commit Grayson Allen and North Carolina commit Joel Berry.
Gilmore’s seen as a top 100 prospect by multiple recruiting services, and his versatility will be an asset for the VCU program, which is looking to strengthen its status as one of the stronger programs in the Atlantic 10. The recruiting class the Rams have reeled in to this point will certainly help in that regard.
While Reddic and Shannon will be out of eligibility after this season, that doesn’t mean VCU will have a bare cupboard when Gilmore, Larrier and Tillman arrive on campus. Jarred Guest (2.1 ppg, 2.5 rpg in 2012-13) will have eligibility remaining, as will freshmen Mo-Alie Cox (redshirted last season) and Antravious Simmons.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)