Sep 26, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Donte Hill caused a minor uproar across the college basketball world when the NCAA denied his appeal to play for Old Dominion this season.
Hill played eight minutes in a secret scrimmage for Clemson back in 2010, but decided to leave the program and transfer to ODU afterwards. The NCAA ruled that those eight minutes constituted a year of eligibility, which means that instead of playing as a senior this season Hill was no longer a collegiate athlete.
There were folks in the media pushing to get the ruling overturned, but alas, that saga is now over.
Hill’s gone pro. He signed a contract with Barsy-Atyrau, a team in Kazakhstan. A school spokesman confirmed the news to NBCSports.com.
There’s something to be said for accountability, and it’s certainly not a good look for Hill to walk out on his team like that once the season has begun. But it’s tough for me to wrap my head around the idea that eight minutes in a secret scrimmage that the schools are not even allowed to acknowledge exist could cost a kid a year of eligibility. Suspending him a couple of games or a semester would have made more sense.
Hopefully he finds his footing as a pro, but starting your career as a 22 year old heading to live in Kazakhstan doesn’t exactly sound ideal.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)