Sep 26, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Donte Hill caused a minor uproar across the college basketball world when the NCAA denied his appeal to play for Old Dominion this season.
Hill played eight minutes in a secret scrimmage for Clemson back in 2010, but decided to leave the program and transfer to ODU afterwards. The NCAA ruled that those eight minutes constituted a year of eligibility, which means that instead of playing as a senior this season Hill was no longer a collegiate athlete.
There were folks in the media pushing to get the ruling overturned, but alas, that saga is now over.
Hill’s gone pro. He signed a contract with Barsy-Atyrau, a team in Kazakhstan. A school spokesman confirmed the news to NBCSports.com.
There’s something to be said for accountability, and it’s certainly not a good look for Hill to walk out on his team like that once the season has begun. But it’s tough for me to wrap my head around the idea that eight minutes in a secret scrimmage that the schools are not even allowed to acknowledge exist could cost a kid a year of eligibility. Suspending him a couple of games or a semester would have made more sense.
Hopefully he finds his footing as a pro, but starting your career as a 22 year old heading to live in Kazakhstan doesn’t exactly sound ideal.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)