Sep 26, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
Oakland center Raphael Carter will sit out this season after it was discovered that the 6-foot-9 senior diagnosed with femoral acetabular impingement (FAI), the school announced on Thursday morning.
Carter will undergo surgery in December so he won’t miss any class time.
“I’m disappointed that we won’t have Raphael (Carter),” said Oakland head coach Greg Kampe. “We knew that he had some issues last year, so we spent the summer trying to get to the bottom of it and it finally was diagnosed. It’s going to get him healthy, and he has not been healthy since he’s been at Oakland.”
What is FAI? Well, in a word, painful.
According to Oakland’s release, it is a “precursor to premature hip osteoarthritis and is characterized by abnormal contact between the proximal femur and rim of the acetabulum (hip socket).”
“This is pretty extensive surgery,” said Athletic Trainer Tom Ford. “The hip joint is a ball and socket joint, his femoral head which is normally ball shaped, is severely deformed and will have to be reconstructed.”
That sounds quite unpleasant.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)