Sep 26, 2013, 11:16 AM EST
Michigan State not only made a much-needed point guard addition on Thursday morning, but the program added a young man certainly bound for multiple appearances on the all-name team.
Lourawls “Tum Tum” Nairn, a 5-foot-10 native of the Bahamas and the No. 61 player in the Class of 2014, committed to Tom Izzo and the Spartans. Tum Tum played his last couple seasons of high school ball at Sunrise Christian Academy in Wichita, KS.
Tum Tum was a big commitment for the Spartans. With Keith Appling graduating and Travis Trice locked in as the only other point guard on the roster, Izzo needed to find another floor general for the 2014-2015 season after whiffing on Tyler Ulis. Tum Tum is that guy. He may be the fastest player in the country with the ball in his hands and is a nightmare to try to keep out of the paint or to slow down in transition.
Tum Tum has only been playing basketball for about six years, however. Growing up in the Bahamas, he was a sprinter. “The Bahamas is a track nation,” he told me this summer, “so everybody ran track.” What that means is that he is still learning how to harness his speed, how to be a more that just a player that utilizes one marvelous athletic talent. He’s learning how to read screen-and-rolls and he’s learning how to run a team and he’s developing his perimeter shot, but that will come with time.
And working with Tom Izzo will certainly help.
The bottom line is that Nairn is a talented kid and a hard-worker with an awesome name and a better nickname.
He’ll be quite popular in East Lansing during his four years there.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)