Sep 26, 2013, 11:16 AM EDT
Michigan State not only made a much-needed point guard addition on Thursday morning, but the program added a young man certainly bound for multiple appearances on the all-name team.
Lourawls “Tum Tum” Nairn, a 5-foot-10 native of the Bahamas and the No. 61 player in the Class of 2014, committed to Tom Izzo and the Spartans. Tum Tum played his last couple seasons of high school ball at Sunrise Christian Academy in Wichita, KS.
Tum Tum was a big commitment for the Spartans. With Keith Appling graduating and Travis Trice locked in as the only other point guard on the roster, Izzo needed to find another floor general for the 2014-2015 season after whiffing on Tyler Ulis. Tum Tum is that guy. He may be the fastest player in the country with the ball in his hands and is a nightmare to try to keep out of the paint or to slow down in transition.
Tum Tum has only been playing basketball for about six years, however. Growing up in the Bahamas, he was a sprinter. “The Bahamas is a track nation,” he told me this summer, “so everybody ran track.” What that means is that he is still learning how to harness his speed, how to be a more that just a player that utilizes one marvelous athletic talent. He’s learning how to read screen-and-rolls and he’s learning how to run a team and he’s developing his perimeter shot, but that will come with time.
And working with Tom Izzo will certainly help.
The bottom line is that Nairn is a talented kid and a hard-worker with an awesome name and a better nickname.
He’ll be quite popular in East Lansing during his four years there.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)