Sep 29, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
At long last, Sheldon Jeter has transferred to Pittsburgh.
Recall that the former Vanderbilt forward’s wish to transfer back closer to home and play for Jamie Dixon at Pittsburgh was blocked by Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings. Rumors circulated that Jeter didn’t inform Stallings of his intent to transfer from Vanderbilt and went public with the news initially, which irked his head coach.
From the outset, it was a bumpy road for Jeter to transfer to Pittsburgh under Stallings’ watch. Since he wasn’t released of his scholarship at Vanderbilt, that meant Jeter would have had to pay his own way at Pittsburgh.
The saga of Sheldon Jeter’s next home gets even more bizarre — he announced, in late August, that he would play at Polk State College in Florida for the 2013-14 season. Formerly known as Polk Community College, the college in Winter Haven, FL would be just a little different than playing SEC or ACC basketball. Fortunately for Jeter, it will never come to that.
While Jeter will spend a semester at Polk State, he will not play on the basketball team, rather simply focus on his academics.
Jeter will transfer to Pittsburgh — the college of his choice coming out of high school — in January and begin practice with his future team.
He told The Times Online: “I couldn’t be more excited. I already have a relationship with a lot of players at Pitt, and I’m looking forward to joining the team.”
A relieved Jeter said, “This took a little bit longer to happen than I wanted it to but I’m happy with the way it turned out. Vanderbilt had their reasons, whatever they were, but I’ve had a lot of people help me and no one more than Matt Furjanic.”
Furjanic is the basketball coach at Polk State, and the former head coach at Robert Morris (1979-84).
As a freshman at Vanderbilt, Jeter averaged 5.5 points and 3.4 rebounds per game. He will have three years of eligibility remaining beginning in the 2014-15 season.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)