Sep 29, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
At long last, Sheldon Jeter has transferred to Pittsburgh.
Recall that the former Vanderbilt forward’s wish to transfer back closer to home and play for Jamie Dixon at Pittsburgh was blocked by Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings. Rumors circulated that Jeter didn’t inform Stallings of his intent to transfer from Vanderbilt and went public with the news initially, which irked his head coach.
From the outset, it was a bumpy road for Jeter to transfer to Pittsburgh under Stallings’ watch. Since he wasn’t released of his scholarship at Vanderbilt, that meant Jeter would have had to pay his own way at Pittsburgh.
The saga of Sheldon Jeter’s next home gets even more bizarre — he announced, in late August, that he would play at Polk State College in Florida for the 2013-14 season. Formerly known as Polk Community College, the college in Winter Haven, FL would be just a little different than playing SEC or ACC basketball. Fortunately for Jeter, it will never come to that.
While Jeter will spend a semester at Polk State, he will not play on the basketball team, rather simply focus on his academics.
Jeter will transfer to Pittsburgh — the college of his choice coming out of high school — in January and begin practice with his future team.
He told The Times Online: “I couldn’t be more excited. I already have a relationship with a lot of players at Pitt, and I’m looking forward to joining the team.”
A relieved Jeter said, “This took a little bit longer to happen than I wanted it to but I’m happy with the way it turned out. Vanderbilt had their reasons, whatever they were, but I’ve had a lot of people help me and no one more than Matt Furjanic.”
Furjanic is the basketball coach at Polk State, and the former head coach at Robert Morris (1979-84).
As a freshman at Vanderbilt, Jeter averaged 5.5 points and 3.4 rebounds per game. He will have three years of eligibility remaining beginning in the 2014-15 season.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)