Sep 29, 2013, 6:03 PM EST
With returnees Dominic Artis and Damyean Dotson being sophomores, Houston transfer Joseph Young being a junior (either this season or next, depending upon the result of his request to be granted immediate eligibility) and junior college transfers Elgin Cook and Jalil Abdul-Bassit being juniors as well, the Oregon Ducks don’t lack for depth on the perimeter.
Dana Altman’s squad got even deeper on the perimeter Sunday, as Mount San Jacinto (Calif.) College wing Dwayne Benjamin verbally committed to the Pac-12 school. Benjamin, who joins point guard Casey Benson in Oregon’s 2014 class, took his official visit to Oregon this weekend.
Benjamin started 28 of their 31 games he played in last season, posting averages of 15.8 points and 7.2 rebounds per game. Benjamin shot 46.7% from the floor for Mount San Jacinto, which finished the 2012-13 season with a 21-11 record. Benjamin’s season high in points was 29, a total he reached in two separate contests, and he posted seven double-doubles as a freshman. One of Benjamin’s best outings came in the second-to-last game of the season, as he tallied 28 points and ten rebounds in an 83-78 win over Ventura JC.
As noted above Benjamin joins a perimeter attack that has depth, with Artis, Dotson and Young in line to lead the way in 2014. Oregon loses UNLV transfer Mike Moser, whose versatility can be an asset when healthy (Moser averaged 14.0 points and 10.5 rebounds per game in 2011-12), and Benjamin has the look of a player who can help the Ducks in a similar fashion.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)