Sep 29, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT
With returnees Dominic Artis and Damyean Dotson being sophomores, Houston transfer Joseph Young being a junior (either this season or next, depending upon the result of his request to be granted immediate eligibility) and junior college transfers Elgin Cook and Jalil Abdul-Bassit being juniors as well, the Oregon Ducks don’t lack for depth on the perimeter.
Dana Altman’s squad got even deeper on the perimeter Sunday, as Mount San Jacinto (Calif.) College wing Dwayne Benjamin verbally committed to the Pac-12 school. Benjamin, who joins point guard Casey Benson in Oregon’s 2014 class, took his official visit to Oregon this weekend.
Benjamin started 28 of their 31 games he played in last season, posting averages of 15.8 points and 7.2 rebounds per game. Benjamin shot 46.7% from the floor for Mount San Jacinto, which finished the 2012-13 season with a 21-11 record. Benjamin’s season high in points was 29, a total he reached in two separate contests, and he posted seven double-doubles as a freshman. One of Benjamin’s best outings came in the second-to-last game of the season, as he tallied 28 points and ten rebounds in an 83-78 win over Ventura JC.
As noted above Benjamin joins a perimeter attack that has depth, with Artis, Dotson and Young in line to lead the way in 2014. Oregon loses UNLV transfer Mike Moser, whose versatility can be an asset when healthy (Moser averaged 14.0 points and 10.5 rebounds per game in 2011-12), and Benjamin has the look of a player who can help the Ducks in a similar fashion.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)