Sep 30, 2013, 10:24 AM EDT
Angel Rodriguez has decided to redshirt the 2013-2014 season, according to a release from Miami.
Rodriguez transferred into the program from Kansas State to be closer to his family — he went to high school in the area — and many were waiting to hear whether or not he would be granted a waiver to play immediately at the school.
But it turns out that Rodriguez never even applied for the waiver.
According to Miami head coach Jim Larrañaga, Rodriguez spent the summer trying to get to 100% as a couple of nagging injuries kept him off the court.
“One was a wrist injury, and one was a very serious tendinitis in his knee,” Larrañaga said. “When we had him visit with our trainer Wes Brown, Wes felt that it was so severe that he took him to our team doctors. They did x-rays and MRI’s, and eventually shut him down the entire summer.”
Eventually, both coach and player decided against applying for the waiver, which is a smart move beyond the simple fact that it will allow Rodriguez to be healthy heading into his final two years of eligibility. Miami lost basically everyone from last season, and while Larrañaga has done a solid job on the recruiting trail, Miami is does not have the firepower to make a real run at the NCAA tournament next season even with Rodriguez.
But with Texas transfer Sheldon McClellan sitting out 2013-2014 as well, and a talented recruiting class headlined by Ja’Quan Newton set to hit campus in 2014, the Hurricanes should be quite competitive in 2014-2015.
Why waste a year of Rodriguez’s eligibility when he’s not healthy and not going to change the outcome of their season?
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)