Sep 30, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
The NCAA has granted Miami (OH) sophomore guard Willie Moore immediate eligibility this season after the Cincinnati-native transferred from Oregon, NBCSports.com has learned.
Miami (OH) Associate Athletic Communications Director Angie Renninger confirmed with NBCSports.com that the 6’3″ Moore was granted immediate eligibility this season.
RedHawks Head Coach John Cooper is excited about the addition of the local guard that should give Miami (OH) plenty of guard depth this season.
“We’re extremely excited for Willie and his family. In many ways it shows the process really does work,” Cooper said in a press release. “Without getting into particulars, it was a situation that we thought warranted him being able to get back home and also be eligible to play right away, and we are extremely thankful to the NCAA and happy with their findings. I think this is a big burden off of Willie’s shoulders now and will allow him to become more focused because he knows he will have the opportunity to play this year. He makes us a better team. There’s a long way to go before the season starts, but we’re thrilled with this news.”
As a freshman at Oregon, Moore averaged 2.1 points per game in only 7.2 minutes per game but should help a Miami team that finished last in the MAC East.
The RedHawks return three starting guards in senior Quinten Rollins, junior Will Sullivan and sophomore Reggie Johnson but Moore should see minutes right away. As a senior at Aiken High School, Moore was named a Division II-IV first team selection by the Cincinnati Enquirer and averaged 16.8 points, 9.1 rebounds and 4.0 assists per game.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)