Sep 30, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
The NCAA has granted Miami (OH) sophomore guard Willie Moore immediate eligibility this season after the Cincinnati-native transferred from Oregon, NBCSports.com has learned.
Miami (OH) Associate Athletic Communications Director Angie Renninger confirmed with NBCSports.com that the 6’3″ Moore was granted immediate eligibility this season.
RedHawks Head Coach John Cooper is excited about the addition of the local guard that should give Miami (OH) plenty of guard depth this season.
“We’re extremely excited for Willie and his family. In many ways it shows the process really does work,” Cooper said in a press release. “Without getting into particulars, it was a situation that we thought warranted him being able to get back home and also be eligible to play right away, and we are extremely thankful to the NCAA and happy with their findings. I think this is a big burden off of Willie’s shoulders now and will allow him to become more focused because he knows he will have the opportunity to play this year. He makes us a better team. There’s a long way to go before the season starts, but we’re thrilled with this news.”
As a freshman at Oregon, Moore averaged 2.1 points per game in only 7.2 minutes per game but should help a Miami team that finished last in the MAC East.
The RedHawks return three starting guards in senior Quinten Rollins, junior Will Sullivan and sophomore Reggie Johnson but Moore should see minutes right away. As a senior at Aiken High School, Moore was named a Division II-IV first team selection by the Cincinnati Enquirer and averaged 16.8 points, 9.1 rebounds and 4.0 assists per game.
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? 2
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 5
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 2
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (8)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (5)