Sep 30, 2013, 1:10 PM EST
Ed Cooley continues to load up on talent in the Class of 2014 as the Providence head coach today earned a commitment from Ben Bentil, a 6-foot-8 forward from St. Andrew’s (DE).
Bentil, who tweeted out his decision on Monday afternoon, picked the Friars over Temple and Miami, among others.
Bentil is a powerful, 6-foot-8 forward that ranks 81st in the Class of 2014, according to Rivals. He’s got the strength and athleticism to play in the post in the Big East, and he plays a tough, physical brand of basketball. His skill level is slowly improving as well, as he can handle the ball a little bit and knock down a jumper, with time and space, out to about 17 or 18 feet.
Cooley is putting together quite a class in 2014. Bentil joins 7-foot-1 Pascal Chukwu and 6-foot-7 wing Jalen Lindsay, all of whom should fit in quite well playing together. Bentil’s physicality should compliment the lithe Chukwu, while Lindsay is a wing known for his versatility.
The future is bright for the Friars, as Cooley has completely overhauled the talent in his program. Providence has a chance to make the NCAA tournament this season, although with the likes of juniors LeDontae Henton and Carson Desrosiers, sophomore Tyler Harris and a now-healthy Kris Dunn, and freshman Brandon Austin scheduled to be back, they may be better in 2014-2015.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)