Sep 30, 2013, 1:10 PM EDT
Ed Cooley continues to load up on talent in the Class of 2014 as the Providence head coach today earned a commitment from Ben Bentil, a 6-foot-8 forward from St. Andrew’s (DE).
Bentil, who tweeted out his decision on Monday afternoon, picked the Friars over Temple and Miami, among others.
Bentil is a powerful, 6-foot-8 forward that ranks 81st in the Class of 2014, according to Rivals. He’s got the strength and athleticism to play in the post in the Big East, and he plays a tough, physical brand of basketball. His skill level is slowly improving as well, as he can handle the ball a little bit and knock down a jumper, with time and space, out to about 17 or 18 feet.
Cooley is putting together quite a class in 2014. Bentil joins 7-foot-1 Pascal Chukwu and 6-foot-7 wing Jalen Lindsay, all of whom should fit in quite well playing together. Bentil’s physicality should compliment the lithe Chukwu, while Lindsay is a wing known for his versatility.
The future is bright for the Friars, as Cooley has completely overhauled the talent in his program. Providence has a chance to make the NCAA tournament this season, although with the likes of juniors LeDontae Henton and Carson Desrosiers, sophomore Tyler Harris and a now-healthy Kris Dunn, and freshman Brandon Austin scheduled to be back, they may be better in 2014-2015.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)