Sep 30, 2013, 9:04 AM EDT
Eli Carter has been cleared to play immediately at Florida.
The Rutgers transfer received a waiver from the NCAA that will allow him to suit up this season. Carter left the program after a video of former Scarlet Knight head coach throwing balls at his players and using gay slurs directed towards them was made public.
Carter may not end up starting for Florida this season, but he’s a key addition to Billy Donovan’s back court. Scottie Wilbekin is working through his second suspension in the past year, and while freshman point guard Kasey Hill is talented, he may not be able to run the show on his own yet. Michael Frazier made the U19 team, but he’s an off-guard.
Carter is more of a scorer than he is a distributor — he averaged 14.9 points and 2.1 assists last season — but he’ll give Donovan more depth and flexibility in the back court as well as another ball-handler in case of emergency. Don’t be surprised to see him playing the same role as another Rutgers transfer, Mike Rosario, did the past two seasons with the Gators.
Florida would have been a preseason top ten team with or without Carter, but his addition makes the Gators that much more dangerous.
Carter is the fourth former Mike Rice player to be cleared to play this season, joining Derrick Randall (Pitt), Mike Poole (Iona) and Vincent Garrett (UW-Green Bay).
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)