Oct 1, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Oregon State head coach Craig Robinson finally provided a timetable for the return of forward Eric Moreland and Devon Collier.
The frontcourt duo had been suspended indefinitely in July for violation of team rules, and Robinson said on Tuesday that Collier will be gone one game, though Moreland will miss 14 games.
“They know what they’ve done has sort of put us in a little bit of a bind, but I feel really good about the way they’re tackling their suspensions,” Robinson told reporters according to OregonLive.com.
The 6-foot-8 Collier, who averaged 12.6 points and 6.0 rebounds per game last season, will make his season debut on Nov. 13 against Portland. Moreland won’t see the floor until 2014, which is the result of his second suspension in seven months.
Moreland filed for the NBA Draft in March only to withdraw his name three weeks later. His return is was a boost to Oregon State. He rejected 2.5 blocks per game last season, and is school’s second all-time leading shot blocker. His presence inside is much needed, especially when the Beavers are coming off a season ranked last in the Pac-12 in scoring defense.
The 6-foot-10 junior averaged 9.4 points and 10.6 rebounds last year, and his absence makes the play of senior center Angus Brandt more important early into this season. Sophomore forwards Olaf Schaftenaar and Jarmal Reid both return to the frontline after logging a more than 13 minutes per game in 2012-2013. Also returning is 6-foot-10 Daniel Gomis, who missed last year with a leg injury, and could help pick up the slack defensively.
“If we end up having a good season despite all of this, hip-hip hurray,” Robinson added. “And if not, that’s the result of what happens when you do stuff you’re not supposed to do.”
This could be a decisive year for Robinson entering his seventh season. His Beavers finished 14-18 (4-14 Pac-12) a season ago.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 4
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 3
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)