Oct 1, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Virginia Tech was already staring at the cellar of the loaded ACC this season, and James Johnson’s road to relevance got that much tougher on Monday evening.
The school announced that 6-foot-3 freshman Malik Mueller would be ineligible to play this season due to an issue with his academics.
“I am extremely disappointed for Malik, “ Johnson said in a statement. “This young man has worked very hard this summer both in workouts and in the classroom. I know that Malik will use this year to improve as a better basketball player and will continue his strong work in his academics. He will help this team in practice and from the sidelines.”
Mueller is a native of Germany and was expected to compete for playing time at the point guard spot.
Johnson signed six players in the Class of 2013, but Mueller is the second that will not be playing for the Hokies this season. Donte Clark, a borderline top 100 prospect, was not admitted to Tech for academic reasons. He eventually enrolled at UMass, where he was ruled a partial qualifier and will have to redshirt this season.
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 0
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)