Oct 1, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Virginia Tech was already staring at the cellar of the loaded ACC this season, and James Johnson’s road to relevance got that much tougher on Monday evening.
The school announced that 6-foot-3 freshman Malik Mueller would be ineligible to play this season due to an issue with his academics.
“I am extremely disappointed for Malik, “ Johnson said in a statement. “This young man has worked very hard this summer both in workouts and in the classroom. I know that Malik will use this year to improve as a better basketball player and will continue his strong work in his academics. He will help this team in practice and from the sidelines.”
Mueller is a native of Germany and was expected to compete for playing time at the point guard spot.
Johnson signed six players in the Class of 2013, but Mueller is the second that will not be playing for the Hokies this season. Donte Clark, a borderline top 100 prospect, was not admitted to Tech for academic reasons. He eventually enrolled at UMass, where he was ruled a partial qualifier and will have to redshirt this season.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)