Oct 2, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
With point guard Angel Rodriguez deciding to transfer after posting averages of 11.4 points and 5.2 assists per game last season, Kansas State head coach Bruce Weber needed an answer at the point as his Wildcats look to at the very least duplicate their accomplishment of winning a share of the Big 12 regular season title. One played expected to be in the mix at the point is freshman Jevon Thomas, who joined the program back in January but did not take the floor.
And it seems as if Thomas will have to wait a little longer to make his Wildcat debut, as it was reported by Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com that the 6-foot Queens, N.Y. native will not be eligible to play in games until the Wildcats face Gonzaga on December 21. Thomas averaged 15 points and seven assists per game at St. John’s Northwest Military Academy last season, earning Most Outstanding Player honors at the National Prep School Invitational in Providence, R.I.
“He is the type of player with really good quickness and the ability to push the ball and create for others,” Weber said of Thomas when the signing was officially announced. “He also gives us some quality depth at the guard position. We believe he has the ability to become a lockdown defender as he develops as a basketball player.”
With Thomas out of the fold for the time being the expectation is that senior guard Will Spradling will assume the point guard responsibilities during the early portion of the Wildcats’ schedule. Spradling averaged 7.4 points and 2.4 assists per game last season, and he’s been a dependable option on the perimeter for both Weber and (prior to him) Frank Martin.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 1
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)