Oct 2, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
With point guard Angel Rodriguez deciding to transfer after posting averages of 11.4 points and 5.2 assists per game last season, Kansas State head coach Bruce Weber needed an answer at the point as his Wildcats look to at the very least duplicate their accomplishment of winning a share of the Big 12 regular season title. One played expected to be in the mix at the point is freshman Jevon Thomas, who joined the program back in January but did not take the floor.
And it seems as if Thomas will have to wait a little longer to make his Wildcat debut, as it was reported by Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com that the 6-foot Queens, N.Y. native will not be eligible to play in games until the Wildcats face Gonzaga on December 21. Thomas averaged 15 points and seven assists per game at St. John’s Northwest Military Academy last season, earning Most Outstanding Player honors at the National Prep School Invitational in Providence, R.I.
“He is the type of player with really good quickness and the ability to push the ball and create for others,” Weber said of Thomas when the signing was officially announced. “He also gives us some quality depth at the guard position. We believe he has the ability to become a lockdown defender as he develops as a basketball player.”
With Thomas out of the fold for the time being the expectation is that senior guard Will Spradling will assume the point guard responsibilities during the early portion of the Wildcats’ schedule. Spradling averaged 7.4 points and 2.4 assists per game last season, and he’s been a dependable option on the perimeter for both Weber and (prior to him) Frank Martin.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)