Oct 3, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Josh Scott hit a wall midway through his freshman season.
Colorado’s 6-foot-10 center went for double figures in 15 of his first 19 games, but he began to struggle late in conference play. A brutal concussion he suffered in February against Arizona State kept him out of two games, and he was never quite able to get back on track.
In an effort to better handle the rigors of high-major Division I basketball, Scott hung around the Boulder campus all summer, hitting the weights and the protein shakes like he was a Jersey Shore cast member. All told, Scott put on about 20 pounds of muscle, as he now checks in at 242 pounds, according to the Daily Camera.
“At first it was kind of an adjustment, but it feels good to be strong and not be able to get pushed around, so I like it,” he said. “I’m excited to see how the strength is going to pay off (during the season). If I was able to do what I did last year at 220, there’s no telling what’s going to happen when I put on 240, so it’s exciting.”
Scott will be one of the best big men in the Pac-12 this season. He already has a solid back-to-the-basket game, but the added weight should help him hold position and finish through contact more effectively. It should also help him on the glass. With Andre Roberson graduating, the Buffaloes are going to need to find someone to hit the boards for them.
Scott should be that guy. Don’t be surprised to see him chalk up double-double after double-double this year.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)