Oct 3, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Josh Scott hit a wall midway through his freshman season.
Colorado’s 6-foot-10 center went for double figures in 15 of his first 19 games, but he began to struggle late in conference play. A brutal concussion he suffered in February against Arizona State kept him out of two games, and he was never quite able to get back on track.
In an effort to better handle the rigors of high-major Division I basketball, Scott hung around the Boulder campus all summer, hitting the weights and the protein shakes like he was a Jersey Shore cast member. All told, Scott put on about 20 pounds of muscle, as he now checks in at 242 pounds, according to the Daily Camera.
“At first it was kind of an adjustment, but it feels good to be strong and not be able to get pushed around, so I like it,” he said. “I’m excited to see how the strength is going to pay off (during the season). If I was able to do what I did last year at 220, there’s no telling what’s going to happen when I put on 240, so it’s exciting.”
Scott will be one of the best big men in the Pac-12 this season. He already has a solid back-to-the-basket game, but the added weight should help him hold position and finish through contact more effectively. It should also help him on the glass. With Andre Roberson graduating, the Buffaloes are going to need to find someone to hit the boards for them.
Scott should be that guy. Don’t be surprised to see him chalk up double-double after double-double this year.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)