Oct 3, 2013, 12:03 PM EST
Rick Pitino is doing the media rounds this week after releasing his new book called The One-Day Contract.
He’s one of the more fascinating characters in sports these days. After going through a humiliating, self-inflicted public lawsuit a couple of years back, one which nearly cost him his job and his family, Pitino has come back stronger than ever, leading Louisville to the 2013 National Title, getting inducted into the Hall of Fame, getting a horse into the Kentucky Derby, having a bottle of Maker’s Mark made in his honor and, to top it off, catching an 80 pound marlin.
He also did all this after a disastrous stretch with the Celtics back in the mid-90’s, which is probably why he decided to give an interview to a local sports talk station up in Beantown.
And, well, it didn’t exactly go well (you can listen to the entire interview here):
Host: We are joined by Rick Pitino, former coach of the Celtics, current coach of the Louisville Cardinals who won the national championship. Rick Pitino, hello!
Pitino: Morning, guys.
Host: You stink. You ruined the Celtics.
The host then immediately hung up the phone.
That’s not funny. It’s unprofessional. And while it may have gotten a laugh out of a couple of people in the studio with him, it certainly isn’t going to help other media members looking to get access to Pitino.
Folks like that radio host are why “the media” gets a bad name.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)