Oct 3, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
Last month UConn senior power forward Tyler Olander was suspended indefinitely by head coach Kevin Ollie after the Mansfield, Conn. native was arrested on charges of driving under intoxication. Ultimately that charge was dropped when tests showed that Olander was below the legal limit, with the end result being that Olander was required to pay a $75 fine after pleading guilty to driving without a license.
But even with the legal matter resolved Olander remained suspended, with Ollie requiring his most experienced post player to show better judgement on a consistent basis.
“I hope he becomes a better young man from this latest distraction,” Ollie said in a story written by Dom Amore of the Hartford Courant in late September. “That’s the first thing — and the last thing. I just want him to learn, and hopefully he does that, with the different steps he’s taking. He’s doing a great job so far, but every day, you’ve got to win the day. All of us have our vices. Every day, I’ve got to sacrifice my vice — I’m not going to tell you what it is, but I have mine.”
Olander’s apparently done enough to convince the head coach that he’s learned from the situation, as the school announced on Thursday that Olander’s been cleared to rejoin the team. Olander, who averaged 4.3 points and 3.7 rebounds per game as a junior, did participate in practice.
Olander’s numbers last season weren’t eye-popping by any stretch of the imagination, but the Huskies will need him due to his experience and their depth. UConn is deeper inside this season than they were in 2012-13 thanks to the arrival of freshman Amida Brimah and the return of both Olander and Phil Nolan, but they’ve yet to hear from the NCAA regarding the status of freshman Kentan Facey.
Olander’s return is good news for UConn, and the hope is that they won’t have to wait much longer for the NCAA’s decision in regards to Facey.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Kansas (USA) is 2-0 so far at the World University Games.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Markelle Fultz is one the best guard prospects in the country.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Mathiang’s playing on an Australian team that includes the likes of Peter Hooley and Hugh Greenwood.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)