Oct 4, 2013, 10:10 AM EDT
Outside of leading returning scorer and rebounder K.J. McDaniels (10.2, 5.0), the Clemson Tigers don’t have much depth at the small forward position. Outside of the 6-foot-7 junior the majority of their experience is on the perimeter, with guards Jordan Roper, Adonis Filer and Demarcus Harrison among the returnees.
With this in mind the Tigers needed to land a small forward in their 2014 recruiting class, and on Friday morning Brad Brownell’s program received a verbal commitment from Top 100 prospect Donte Grantham (subscription required). The news was first reported by Evan Daniels of Scout.com. The 6-foot-8 Grantham currently attends Hargrave Military Academy, and he was also being pursued by Cincinnati and Michigan. Earlier this week the Wolverines received a verbal commitment from 6-foot-7 wing Kameron Chatman.
Grantham made the move over to Hargrave from Martinsburg High in his native Martinsburg, W. Va., where he was a key contributor on a team that finished the 2012-13 season with a 26-2 record and won the West Virginia Class AAA state title. Grantham tallied 20 points and 17 rebounds in the victory. After graduating from Martinsburg Grantham made the decision to attend prep school for a year.
Grantham joins 6-foot-4 shooting guard Gabe DeVoe in Clemson’s 2014 recruiting class, and here a few clips of the versatile Grantham in action earlier this summer.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)