Oct 5, 2013, 7:21 PM EDT
There was a time in college basketball when a coach wouldn’t dream of entrusting his team to a freshman point guard. That time has passed, and we’re in the era of the one-and-done player who tends to get his playing time right away.
Maryland freshman Roddy Peters may not be the second coming of John Wall, but he is impressing Terps head coach Mark Turgeon. After observing a few early practices, Turgeon is starting to think he got an even better player than he originally thought.
“I knew Roddy was really good, but he has a gear I never saw,” Turgeon told a reporter for Maryland’s The Diamondback student newspaper after a recent morning practice. “I thought he was a fourth-gear guy, but he kind of gets into a fifth gear and I didn’t know he had that.”
Peters is 6-foot-4 and not afraid to drive to the rim, but he appears to have the skillset of a natural point guard, which should make him really tough to defend.
Early on, the point job may be the property of Seth Allen, but Turgeon told the newspaper that he definitely plans to shake things up, allowing combo guard Allen to indulge his natural instinct as a scorer while Peters distributes. With Shaq Cleare and Charles Mitchell inside, and Xavier transfer Dez Wells as the unquestioned leader of the Terps, Maryland has a team to be reckoned with this season, all the more so if Peters can lock down the point guard slot and free up his teammates to fill up the nets.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)