Frosh Peters making a push for Terps point guard spot

Oct 5, 2013, 7:21 PM EDT

image AP

There was a time in college basketball when a coach wouldn’t dream of entrusting his team to a freshman point guard. That time has passed, and we’re in the era of the one-and-done player who tends to get his playing time right away.

Maryland freshman Roddy Peters may not be the second coming of John Wall, but he is impressing Terps head coach Mark Turgeon. After observing a few early practices, Turgeon is starting to think he got an even better player than he originally thought.

“I knew Roddy was really good, but he has a gear I never saw,” Turgeon told a reporter for Maryland’s The Diamondback student newspaper after a recent morning practice. “I thought he was a fourth-gear guy, but he kind of gets into a fifth gear and I didn’t know he had that.”

Peters is 6-foot-4 and not afraid to drive to the rim, but he appears to have the skillset of a natural point guard, which should make him really tough to defend.

Early on, the point job may be the property of Seth Allen, but Turgeon told the newspaper that he definitely plans to shake things up, allowing combo guard Allen to indulge his natural instinct as a scorer while Peters distributes. With Shaq Cleare and Charles Mitchell inside, and Xavier transfer Dez Wells as the unquestioned leader of the Terps, Maryland has a team to be reckoned with this season, all the more so if Peters can lock down the point guard slot and free up his teammates to fill up the nets.

1. carefreejt - Oct 5, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Turgeon has been recruiting really well. need to get to thw tourney this yr. would be another step in MD being back as a national power

2. jrocknstuff - Oct 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Oh I think this is a tournament team without question. I’m expecting them to finish in the top 4 in the ACC, and grab around a 5 seed. I’d be surprised if they don’t win 21-23 games

3. aschreit - Oct 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Article didn’t mention very athletic FR-6’11 Dodd, Layman, who may leave early for NBA or Smo, a superb 4. This team has some serious dance talent.

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!