Oct 5, 2013, 7:21 PM EST
There was a time in college basketball when a coach wouldn’t dream of entrusting his team to a freshman point guard. That time has passed, and we’re in the era of the one-and-done player who tends to get his playing time right away.
Maryland freshman Roddy Peters may not be the second coming of John Wall, but he is impressing Terps head coach Mark Turgeon. After observing a few early practices, Turgeon is starting to think he got an even better player than he originally thought.
“I knew Roddy was really good, but he has a gear I never saw,” Turgeon told a reporter for Maryland’s The Diamondback student newspaper after a recent morning practice. “I thought he was a fourth-gear guy, but he kind of gets into a fifth gear and I didn’t know he had that.”
Peters is 6-foot-4 and not afraid to drive to the rim, but he appears to have the skillset of a natural point guard, which should make him really tough to defend.
Early on, the point job may be the property of Seth Allen, but Turgeon told the newspaper that he definitely plans to shake things up, allowing combo guard Allen to indulge his natural instinct as a scorer while Peters distributes. With Shaq Cleare and Charles Mitchell inside, and Xavier transfer Dez Wells as the unquestioned leader of the Terps, Maryland has a team to be reckoned with this season, all the more so if Peters can lock down the point guard slot and free up his teammates to fill up the nets.
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 0
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 1
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 2
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (5)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)