Oct 5, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
I had forgotten that there is such a thing as a homecoming court, but at Louisville, where the reigning national champs reside, it’s quite possible that a Cardinals basketball player will supplement his national title ring with some more bling: a homecoming crown.
Card Chronicle turned up the fact that both Russ Smith and Luke Hancock are in the running for the campus Homecoming King slot. And apparently they’re not the first (nor likely the last) hardcourt heroes to make the list.
Luke Hancock and Russ Smith are the two potential basketball Cards who could be named king, a title which will be announced during halftime of the homecoming game against Central Florida on Oct. 18 (I think). Each will be trying to follow in the footsteps of former hoops kings Kyle Kuric (2011) and Peyton Siva (2012).
According to the blog, it could be an all-hoops sweep, as women’s team member Sara Hammond (pictured) made the short list for Queen. The Cards were Final Four participants on the women’s side of things as well.
All told, it’s a good year to be a Cardinal, as long as you avoid the knuckleheads in Boston sports radio.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 0
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)