Oct 5, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
I had forgotten that there is such a thing as a homecoming court, but at Louisville, where the reigning national champs reside, it’s quite possible that a Cardinals basketball player will supplement his national title ring with some more bling: a homecoming crown.
Card Chronicle turned up the fact that both Russ Smith and Luke Hancock are in the running for the campus Homecoming King slot. And apparently they’re not the first (nor likely the last) hardcourt heroes to make the list.
Luke Hancock and Russ Smith are the two potential basketball Cards who could be named king, a title which will be announced during halftime of the homecoming game against Central Florida on Oct. 18 (I think). Each will be trying to follow in the footsteps of former hoops kings Kyle Kuric (2011) and Peyton Siva (2012).
According to the blog, it could be an all-hoops sweep, as women’s team member Sara Hammond (pictured) made the short list for Queen. The Cards were Final Four participants on the women’s side of things as well.
All told, it’s a good year to be a Cardinal, as long as you avoid the knuckleheads in Boston sports radio.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 1
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)