Oct 5, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Indiana also unofficially kicked off its season with Hoosier Hysteria last night as one of the best fanbases in the country helped the Hoosiers raise the 2013 Big Ten Champions banner as fans saw many of the new Hoosiers and returning players like forwards Will Sheehey and Jeremy Hollowell and point guard Yogi Ferrell.
But the major news from Hoosier Hysteria comes on the injury front, as freshman point guard Stanford Robinson banged his knee during the scrimmage and freshman forward Noah Vonleh sat out the scrimmage as a precautionary measure after hurting his ankle during Wednesday’s practice.
More on Robinson’s injury from Inside the Hall:
In the waning seconds of Friday night’s scrimmage at Hoosier Hysteria, Robinson went down, clutched his knee and limped off the court after a collision in the paint. Indiana coach Tom Crean said after the scrimmage that early word is Robinson has a bruised knee.
“I say that hopefully. I say that as what was said in there,” Crean said. “It looked like everything was intact and I hope that’s what it continues to be. Dr. (Steve) Ahfeld was on it right away.
“He was in a lot of pain, but I mean, those hurt like that. Hopefully everything will be good there. We don’t need any more guys missing time that are gonna play.”
The Hoosiers are also dealing with injuries to two other freshmen: center Luke Fischer and forward Troy Williams (Seriously, what is it with Indiana’s freshman getting injured? Collin Hartman and Devin Davis better watch out.) but none of these injuries appear to be of the very serious nature and probably just come with the territory of playing in the physical Big Ten for the first time.
On a lighter note, here’s some highlights from Hoosier Hysteria, courtesy of City League Hoops:
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 3
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)