Oct 5, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Indiana also unofficially kicked off its season with Hoosier Hysteria last night as one of the best fanbases in the country helped the Hoosiers raise the 2013 Big Ten Champions banner as fans saw many of the new Hoosiers and returning players like forwards Will Sheehey and Jeremy Hollowell and point guard Yogi Ferrell.
But the major news from Hoosier Hysteria comes on the injury front, as freshman point guard Stanford Robinson banged his knee during the scrimmage and freshman forward Noah Vonleh sat out the scrimmage as a precautionary measure after hurting his ankle during Wednesday’s practice.
More on Robinson’s injury from Inside the Hall:
In the waning seconds of Friday night’s scrimmage at Hoosier Hysteria, Robinson went down, clutched his knee and limped off the court after a collision in the paint. Indiana coach Tom Crean said after the scrimmage that early word is Robinson has a bruised knee.
“I say that hopefully. I say that as what was said in there,” Crean said. “It looked like everything was intact and I hope that’s what it continues to be. Dr. (Steve) Ahfeld was on it right away.
“He was in a lot of pain, but I mean, those hurt like that. Hopefully everything will be good there. We don’t need any more guys missing time that are gonna play.”
The Hoosiers are also dealing with injuries to two other freshmen: center Luke Fischer and forward Troy Williams (Seriously, what is it with Indiana’s freshman getting injured? Collin Hartman and Devin Davis better watch out.) but none of these injuries appear to be of the very serious nature and probably just come with the territory of playing in the physical Big Ten for the first time.
On a lighter note, here’s some highlights from Hoosier Hysteria, courtesy of City League Hoops:
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)