Oct 6, 2013, 4:11 PM EST
Recruiting the west coast has proven to be fruitful for the Michigan basketball program, as the Wolverines have received a second commitment from that part of the country in the last week. First there was four-star forward Kameron Chatman (Portland, Ore.), and on Sunday 6-foot-8 forward D.J. Wilson (Sacramento, Calif.) announced his decision to verbally commit to the Big Ten school.
Wilson took his official visit to Michigan this weekend, and the news of his commitment was first reported by Eric Bossi of Rivals.com.
Wilson attends Capital Christian School, where he averaged 9.7 points and 4.6 rebounds per game as a junior. Capital Christian finished the 2012-13 season with an overall record of 26-5 and reached the semifinals of the CIF Division V state tournament. Wilson’s play with the Team Superstar AAU program over the spring/summer boosted his recruiting profile, and his versatility could be an asset to head coach John Beilein’s program when he arrives in Ann Arbor next year.
Wilson is Michigan’s fourth verbal commitment in the 2014 class, with three currently being based on the west coast. In addition to Wilson there’s the aforementioned Chatman, and guard Austin Hatch (originally in the 2013 class before reclassifying) is now attending Loyola HS in Los Angeles after beginning his high school career in Fort Wayne, Ind. The fourth verbal commit is 6-foot-9 power forward Ricky Doyle, who hails from the state of Florida.
Here are a few highlights of Michigan’s latest commitment.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)