Oct 6, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
Recruiting the west coast has proven to be fruitful for the Michigan basketball program, as the Wolverines have received a second commitment from that part of the country in the last week. First there was four-star forward Kameron Chatman (Portland, Ore.), and on Sunday 6-foot-8 forward D.J. Wilson (Sacramento, Calif.) announced his decision to verbally commit to the Big Ten school.
Wilson took his official visit to Michigan this weekend, and the news of his commitment was first reported by Eric Bossi of Rivals.com.
Wilson attends Capital Christian School, where he averaged 9.7 points and 4.6 rebounds per game as a junior. Capital Christian finished the 2012-13 season with an overall record of 26-5 and reached the semifinals of the CIF Division V state tournament. Wilson’s play with the Team Superstar AAU program over the spring/summer boosted his recruiting profile, and his versatility could be an asset to head coach John Beilein’s program when he arrives in Ann Arbor next year.
Wilson is Michigan’s fourth verbal commitment in the 2014 class, with three currently being based on the west coast. In addition to Wilson there’s the aforementioned Chatman, and guard Austin Hatch (originally in the 2013 class before reclassifying) is now attending Loyola HS in Los Angeles after beginning his high school career in Fort Wayne, Ind. The fourth verbal commit is 6-foot-9 power forward Ricky Doyle, who hails from the state of Florida.
Here are a few highlights of Michigan’s latest commitment.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)