Oct 6, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
Auburn head coach Tony Barbee has Hall of Famer Charles Barkley in his corner. The former SEC Player of the Year was on hand for Auburn’s Jungle Jam on Friday night, and told the more than 7,300 in attendance that he had faith in Barbee leading the Tigers.
“Coach Barbee is going to turn this program around,” Barkley told fans on Friday night, according to Brandon Marcello of AL.com
“It’s huge because, again, I’m a big fan — obviously we’re friends — but he’s behind me all the way and that’s a good feeling,” Barbee added. “I know all the former players are. I know these students are. I know our fans are. I think this is a team that’s going to make everybody proud.”
Through three seasons at Auburn, Barbee is 35-59 (12-38 SEC). This past season was his worst, with only nine wins — down six from the previous season — and finishing last in the conference. The Tigers ended their season dropping 11 straight. In mid-March, Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs issued a statement of support. Barkley is behind him now, but Barbee will need to strides this season, relying on returners Chris Denson, Allen Payne and Virginia transfer K.T. Harrell in an improved SEC.
May 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
DeAndre Ayton finally got a chance to play this spring and delivered in a big way.
May 26, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Point guard CJ Walker is focused on seven schools during the recruiting process.
May 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Four-star guard Maverick Rowan has a choice to make for his basketball future in the immediate future.
May 26, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Minnesota closed out its 2015 recruiting efforts with its second incoming transfer of the offseason.
May 26, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The spring grassroots season is over and another spring EYBL season is complete.
May 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
The schedule isn’t out yet, but each team now knows who they will play and where they will play them.
May 26, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
RaShid Gaston averaged 15.5 points and 9.6 boards.
May 26, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Shaqquan Aaron could never crack Rick Pitino’s rotation.
May 26, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
The only people that would punish are the people that had nothing to do with the violations in the first place.
May 26, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
Collins has Northwestern trending in the right direction.
May 26, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
It pays to be able to recruit the way they do.
Austin Rivers plays pick-up against LSU freshman Antonio Blakeney, Rutgers freshman Corey Sanders (VIDEO)
May 25, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
Austin Rivers played against some exciting rising freshmen in Antonio Blakeney and Corey Sanders.
May 25, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Conference USA Freshman of the Year winner Torin Dorn is focusing on four schools.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Auburn is losing a reserve forward.
May 25, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Jamal Murray is one of the major pieces still in question for the 2015-16 college basketball season.
May 25, 2015, 3:23 PM EDT
This is actually kind of creepy.
May 25, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
This seems risky.
May 25, 2015, 11:48 AM EDT
Bridges is considering hometown schools as well as a pair of blue-bloods.
May 25, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
Will Maker ever make it to college?
May 24, 2015, 7:29 PM EDT
Arizona State’s “Curtain of Distraction” made an appearance as well.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 22
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (24)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)