Oct 7, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
Butler grabbed its second commit for its Class of 2014 on Monday evening when Ballard High (Ky.) forward Kelan Martin announced through his Twitter account that he was the newest member of the Bulldogs.
I’m going to be a Butler Bulldog……. #blessed
— Kelannieee (@kelan30_) October 7, 2013
The 6-foot-6 Martin is the No. 143 overall player in the Class of 2014 according to Rivals. The three-star forward was in the middle of three official visits. He was in Indianapolis this past weekend on the Butler campus. The previous weekend he was visiting Saint Louis, and he was scheduled to make a trip to Lubbock, Texas for an official visit at Texas Tech this upcoming weekend, according to Steve Jones of the Courier-Journal.
“In the end, we just felt really good about the coaching staff and the character of kids they recruit,” Martin’s father Kenneth told Zak Keefer of the Indianapolis Star on Monday following his son’s decision. “We really liked the academic side Butler had to offer as well. We just wanted him to feel comfortable with his decision, and he does. He loved the players he met over the weekend and it just felt right for him.”
Martin averaged 19.1 points and 10.2 rebounds last season at Ballard, playing alongside Illinois commit Quentin Snider. The duo led the Bruins to the KHSAA Sweet Sixteen championship game. The Louisville native joins Lake Central High (Ind.) power forward Tyler Wideman in Brandon Miller’s first recruiting class.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)