Oct 7, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
The city of Memphis churns out a ton of hoops talent, and one of the most impressive things that Josh Pastner has done as the head coach of the Tigers is to more-or-less put up a fence around the city.
If there is a talented hooper from Memphis that Pastner wants, Pastner usually gets him. And while there are some that have slipped through his fingers — Jarnell Stokes is at Tennessee and Leron Black and Chris Chiozza committed to Illinois and Florida, respectively — the majority of the high-major talent that is produced by the city stay in the city.
Enter the Lawsons.
If you haven’t heard about these kids yet, they are the Memphis version of the Plumlees, the South’s Hamilton family. K.J. is the oldest, is the No. 25 recruit in the Class of 2015, while Dedric, the middle brother, is the No. 5 prospect in 2016. The best of the bunch may end up being 12 year old Chandler, who is already 6-foot-4. And don’t forget about Jonathan, a fifth-grader.
Put another way, by tapping into the Lawson pipeline, Pastner could make the next decade of his coaching career just that much easier.
On Monday, he got that process started, as KJ committed to play for the Tigers. The news was first reported by Evan Daniels of scout.com.
Now, the Lawsons are a tight-knit family. Their father is a high school coach in the city. Josh Pastner went out and hired Robert Kirby as an assistant this summer; Kirby is a cousin of the Lawsons. Most everyone in recruiting circles believe that the Lawsons — all of them — will be headed to Memphis when they reach that age.
So this doesn’t come as a surprise. But it is a first step.
K.J. Lawson is the first commit in the Tiger’s 2015 class.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)