Oct 8, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
Zay Jackson’s return to the court this season lasted all of four days.
The sophomore guard tore the ACL and the LCL in his right knee in practice on Saturday after coming down awkwardly following a dunk. He is scheduled to have surgery in a couple of weeks, once the swelling in his knee goes down.
“He was our best offensive and defensive player,” head coach Steve Prohm said. “But what he can do is he can help the younger guys, he can teach the younger guys. He can be kind of like an assistant coach, he’s got a great IQ , and great feel for the game. Big things are in store for him, he’ll do a great job helping build these guys up, he’ll travel with us, he’ll be apart of our team one-hundred percent.”
Jackson sat out all of last season after an ugly off-the-court incident in which he tried to run down a man with his car in a Walmart parking lot. Jackson and the man had had a verbal disagreement, and after Jackson had gotten into his car, he drove into the man and continued for several hundred feet with the man on his hood. You can watch the wild video here.
Jackson spent 49 days in jail as a result, but he was set to return to the team and play a major role in replacing Isaiah Canaan this season.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)