Oct 8, 2013, 10:34 AM EST
Zay Jackson’s return to the court this season lasted all of four days.
The sophomore guard tore the ACL and the LCL in his right knee in practice on Saturday after coming down awkwardly following a dunk. He is scheduled to have surgery in a couple of weeks, once the swelling in his knee goes down.
“He was our best offensive and defensive player,” head coach Steve Prohm said. “But what he can do is he can help the younger guys, he can teach the younger guys. He can be kind of like an assistant coach, he’s got a great IQ , and great feel for the game. Big things are in store for him, he’ll do a great job helping build these guys up, he’ll travel with us, he’ll be apart of our team one-hundred percent.”
Jackson sat out all of last season after an ugly off-the-court incident in which he tried to run down a man with his car in a Walmart parking lot. Jackson and the man had had a verbal disagreement, and after Jackson had gotten into his car, he drove into the man and continued for several hundred feet with the man on his hood. You can watch the wild video here.
Jackson spent 49 days in jail as a result, but he was set to return to the team and play a major role in replacing Isaiah Canaan this season.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)