Oct 8, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
For the second time in five months, Bill Self and the Kansas basketball program outduel Kentucky for an elite wing prospect.
Back in May, the Jayhawks landed a commitment from Andrew Wiggins, who decided to head to Lawrence for his one-year college hoops stopover. And on Tuesday, Kansas earned a commitment from Kelly Oubre, who will slide right in and replace Wiggins at that small forward spot. Evan Daniels of Scout.com broke the news and Oubre confirmed it minutes later.
This news was far from a surprise. Oubre’s decision was down to Kansas and Kentucky. He spent this weekend on an official visit to Lawrence for Late Night at the Phog and proceeded to cancel his trip to Kentucky for Big Blue Madness.
Oubre is a talented recruit that is one of the better NBA prospects in the Class of 2014. He ranks as the No. 12 recruit in the class, according to Rivals, but he’s the kind of player that could end up being better at the professional level that he is in college. Checking in at 6-foot-7, Oubre is a left-handed wing that looks like he was bred to be a scorer. He’s really developed his perimeter stroke to an elite level, but given his size and his athleticism — he’s not Jordan-in-his-prime athletic, but he’s an above-average leaper that has the quickness to beat people off the dribble — he needs to make sure that he doesn’t pigeon-hole himself as just a jump-shooter.
The best thing about Oubre as a prospect is that he wants to defend, he wants to get better and he wants to win. There’s a reason that, by the end of the summer, Oubre was the guy that everyone was talking about from a Houston Hoops team that also included North Carolina commit Justin Jackson and top 20 recruit Justise Winslow on the wing.
Oubre is the first commit for the Jayhawks in the Class of 2014. A New Orleans native, he moved to Houston before transferring to Findlay Prep in Nevada for his final season as a high schooler.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
The junior point guard is one of several banged up Jayhawks.
Jul 7, 2015, 9:06 PM EDT
Eron Harris averaged 17.2 points per game for West Virginia in the 2013-14 season.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson, Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Tyler Dorsey and Terrance Ferguson were included in the top plays.
Jul 7, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Mike Davis has one of the most entertaining players joining the program.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)