Oct 8, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Throughout much of this past summer, officials at the University of Connecticut and at the Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport have been in talks of bringing both Connecticut men’s and women’s basketball to the city.
On Monday morning, a press conference was held at the WBA to announce that a partnership had officially been made between the arena and university. The Fairfield men’s basketball team already plays its home games at the arena, but bringing Husky basketball — the premier college basketball program in New England — to Bridgeport may prove to be more than just entertainment.
It’s not secret that Bridgeport is one of not only the toughest cities in Connecticut, but on the East coast — high school graduation rates are low and crime and gangs run rampant.
“We can all agree on this: Kids here need role models. They need role models from within the community, and they could sure use a positive, respected voice from the outside. We can agree on this, too: There are some terrific role models at UConn, some powerful speakers with inspiring stories that could resonate with Bridgeport youth. We can all agree that the partnership between the Huskies and Bridgeport shouldn’t be limited to a single basketball game in December.”
Kevin Ollie is clearly on board with bringing Connecticut basketball to Bridgeport, but having it be more than merely a 40 minute game.
Ollie’s slogan has been: “It’s about more than basketball.”
The second-year coach is following through with that sentiment. Ollie said: “There’s a lot of initiative we’re trying to put out right now in Hartford. Just telling (the kids) there are different things you need to do — just respecting yourself and respecting others and going to school and getting your education.”
The first game slated to be played in Bridgeport is on December 28th against Eastern Washington.
Don’t be surprised going forward if Connecticut continues to expand their brand to other corners of the state, and is engaging the youth of the community in more ways than just basketball.
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4