Oct 9, 2013, 4:57 PM EDT
With Myck Kabongo sidelined for the first 23 games of the 2012-13 season due to a violation of NCAA rules (and his not being forthcoming when questioned about his acceptance of impermissible benefits), Texas point guard Javan Felix went through a “baptism by fire” of sorts at the point guard position. The New Orleans native took his lumps and so did his young teammates, finishing the season with averages of 6.8 points and 4.1 assists per game on a team that finished with an overall record of 16-18 (7-11 Big 12).
That experience could potentially serve as the foundation for an improved sophomore season, but unfortunately for Felix and head coach Rick Barnes the answer the point guard could miss some game time. On Wednesday the school announced that just over a week ago Felix underwent a surgical procedure on his hip, and as a result he’s out indefinitely.
“Javan had a successful procedure on his left hip performed on Tuesday, October 1st,” Texas athletic trainer Eric Fry said via the team’s Twitter account. “He has begun his rehab process and is expected to make a full recovery. Javan obviously is not practicing with the team at this time. We won’t have a specific timetable for his return, but we are looking forward to getting him back.”
With Kabongo now playing professionally and three other guards having transferred over the last two seasons, the Longhorns are once again young on the perimeter. Felix and fellow sophomore Demarcus Holland (3.6 ppg, 1.4 rpg in 2012-13) are the “veterans” for coach Barnes, with four freshman guards joining the program this season.
Kendal Yancy and Isaiah Taylor both played the point in high school, so those two would likely be next in line to run the show if Felix were forced to miss any game action. Texas also adds shooting guards Damarcus Croaker and Martez Walker. Despite the presence of some talented players experience could once again be an issue, with the Longhorns having just one upperclassman on the entire roster (junior forward Jonathan Holmes).
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)