Oct 9, 2013, 4:57 PM EDT
With Myck Kabongo sidelined for the first 23 games of the 2012-13 season due to a violation of NCAA rules (and his not being forthcoming when questioned about his acceptance of impermissible benefits), Texas point guard Javan Felix went through a “baptism by fire” of sorts at the point guard position. The New Orleans native took his lumps and so did his young teammates, finishing the season with averages of 6.8 points and 4.1 assists per game on a team that finished with an overall record of 16-18 (7-11 Big 12).
That experience could potentially serve as the foundation for an improved sophomore season, but unfortunately for Felix and head coach Rick Barnes the answer the point guard could miss some game time. On Wednesday the school announced that just over a week ago Felix underwent a surgical procedure on his hip, and as a result he’s out indefinitely.
“Javan had a successful procedure on his left hip performed on Tuesday, October 1st,” Texas athletic trainer Eric Fry said via the team’s Twitter account. “He has begun his rehab process and is expected to make a full recovery. Javan obviously is not practicing with the team at this time. We won’t have a specific timetable for his return, but we are looking forward to getting him back.”
With Kabongo now playing professionally and three other guards having transferred over the last two seasons, the Longhorns are once again young on the perimeter. Felix and fellow sophomore Demarcus Holland (3.6 ppg, 1.4 rpg in 2012-13) are the “veterans” for coach Barnes, with four freshman guards joining the program this season.
Kendal Yancy and Isaiah Taylor both played the point in high school, so those two would likely be next in line to run the show if Felix were forced to miss any game action. Texas also adds shooting guards Damarcus Croaker and Martez Walker. Despite the presence of some talented players experience could once again be an issue, with the Longhorns having just one upperclassman on the entire roster (junior forward Jonathan Holmes).
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)