Oct 9, 2013, 12:47 AM EDT
Samford add a new member to their team on Saturday afternoon, as Nathaniel “Biggie” Henderson signed a National Letter of Intent to join the Bulldog.
Biggie will be wearing No. 5 and will be joining the team as a their 17th member for the 2012-2013 season despite the fact that he is just seven years old.
You see, Biggie was born with CLOVES syndrome, a disease that has fewer than 100 diagnosed cases worldwide. As Samford described in their release, “Henderson’s CLOVES manifests itself through complex vascular abnormalities and masses along with severe overgrowth on the right side of his body.” The young man’s been through a number of surgeries already, the most recent of which resulted in the amputation of his right leg, which had grown two feet longer than his left leg.
I can’t get enough of stories like this.
Last month, Xavier signed a young man named Trey Couch to a Letter of Intent. Trey has a neurodegenerative disease that has no cure. The players took him out for ice cream Monday night. A few weeks prior to that, Bradley signed a pair of brothers to a Letter of Intent. Last season, Joshua Brown stole the hearts of the St. Louis locker room before he passed away over the summer.
It’s a great thing that Samford is doing here, and as rewarding and as special as it is for Biggie Henderson, it’s something that the Samford team will remember for a long time as well.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)