Oct 9, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
UConn made a nice pickup on Wednesday morning as Sam Cassell Jr. announced that he had committed to Kevin Ollie and the Huskies.
“Blessed to say that I have committed to the University of Connecticut,” Cassell tweeted.
Cassell is, obviously, the son of former NBA star Sam Cassell. Originally a Maryland-signee, Cassell was a non-qualifier coming out of Notre Dame Prep. He’s spent the past two years at Chipola Junior College down in Tallahassee.
With Shabazz Napier graduating after the season and Ryan Boatright scheduled to be a senior in 2014-2015, UConn needed a ball-handler out of this class, and they got one. Coming out of high school, Cassell was the No. 146 player in the Class of 2012.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)