Oct 9, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
UConn made a nice pickup on Wednesday morning as Sam Cassell Jr. announced that he had committed to Kevin Ollie and the Huskies.
“Blessed to say that I have committed to the University of Connecticut,” Cassell tweeted.
Cassell is, obviously, the son of former NBA star Sam Cassell. Originally a Maryland-signee, Cassell was a non-qualifier coming out of Notre Dame Prep. He’s spent the past two years at Chipola Junior College down in Tallahassee.
With Shabazz Napier graduating after the season and Ryan Boatright scheduled to be a senior in 2014-2015, UConn needed a ball-handler out of this class, and they got one. Coming out of high school, Cassell was the No. 146 player in the Class of 2012.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)