Oct 10, 2013, 7:25 PM EST
As the start of the regular season approaches, the return of Louisville guard Kevin Ware does as well.
According to head coach Rick Pitino the junior guard, who suffered a broken leg in the first half of Louisville’s Elite Eight victory over Duke in March, is expected to be in uniform when the defending national champions open their season on November 9 against the College of Charleston.
“He’ll suit up for the first game,” Pitino told ESPN.com. “Whether he gets in or not, we’ll see.”
Ware was cleared medically last week, paving the way for a return to the court sooner than many anticipated. But as Pitino noted in the story, it’s not only about Ware returning to the court. The goal is that when he returns to the floor Ware is in position to flourish and be a contributor on a team that doesn’t lack for talent on the perimeter.
Louisville welcomes back Russ Smith, Wayne Blackshear and Final Four MOP Luke Hancock while adding highly regarded junior college transfer Chris Jones and freshmen Anton Gill and Terry Rozier. Adding Ware would make the Cardinals even deeper on the perimeter, with Chane Behanan and Montrezl Harrell expected to lead the way inside.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)