Oct 10, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
As the start of the regular season approaches, the return of Louisville guard Kevin Ware does as well.
According to head coach Rick Pitino the junior guard, who suffered a broken leg in the first half of Louisville’s Elite Eight victory over Duke in March, is expected to be in uniform when the defending national champions open their season on November 9 against the College of Charleston.
“He’ll suit up for the first game,” Pitino told ESPN.com. “Whether he gets in or not, we’ll see.”
Ware was cleared medically last week, paving the way for a return to the court sooner than many anticipated. But as Pitino noted in the story, it’s not only about Ware returning to the court. The goal is that when he returns to the floor Ware is in position to flourish and be a contributor on a team that doesn’t lack for talent on the perimeter.
Louisville welcomes back Russ Smith, Wayne Blackshear and Final Four MOP Luke Hancock while adding highly regarded junior college transfer Chris Jones and freshmen Anton Gill and Terry Rozier. Adding Ware would make the Cardinals even deeper on the perimeter, with Chane Behanan and Montrezl Harrell expected to lead the way inside.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 1
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)