Oct 10, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
As the start of the regular season approaches, the return of Louisville guard Kevin Ware does as well.
According to head coach Rick Pitino the junior guard, who suffered a broken leg in the first half of Louisville’s Elite Eight victory over Duke in March, is expected to be in uniform when the defending national champions open their season on November 9 against the College of Charleston.
“He’ll suit up for the first game,” Pitino told ESPN.com. “Whether he gets in or not, we’ll see.”
Ware was cleared medically last week, paving the way for a return to the court sooner than many anticipated. But as Pitino noted in the story, it’s not only about Ware returning to the court. The goal is that when he returns to the floor Ware is in position to flourish and be a contributor on a team that doesn’t lack for talent on the perimeter.
Louisville welcomes back Russ Smith, Wayne Blackshear and Final Four MOP Luke Hancock while adding highly regarded junior college transfer Chris Jones and freshmen Anton Gill and Terry Rozier. Adding Ware would make the Cardinals even deeper on the perimeter, with Chane Behanan and Montrezl Harrell expected to lead the way inside.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)