Oct 10, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
San Diego State landed their third commitment in the Class of 2014, as Malik Pope announced on Wednesday night that he would be an Aztec when he gets to college.
Pope has all the physical tools to be a terrific player at the collegiate level. At 6-foot-8, he’s an explosive wing that can run the floor and has the ball skills to be able to thrive on the perimeter. He’s got three-point range, but at this point in his development, he’s more of a slasher than he is a standstill jump-shooter.
The question mark with Pope is his health. He’s ranked No. 17 in the Class of 2014 by Rivals, but most other publications have dropped him from the five-star range. Pope, a native of Elk Grove, CA, broke his leg during his high school season, which cost him the April and July evaluation periods. He recently reinjured the same leg and had a screw implanted.
This is a kid that everyone in the country was recruiting before his injury, which means that he’ll be an instant impact player for Steve Fisher if he can get back to full strength.
Pope joins Trey Kell and Kavin Zabo in SDSU’s recruiting class.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)