Oct 10, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
San Diego State landed their third commitment in the Class of 2014, as Malik Pope announced on Wednesday night that he would be an Aztec when he gets to college.
Pope has all the physical tools to be a terrific player at the collegiate level. At 6-foot-8, he’s an explosive wing that can run the floor and has the ball skills to be able to thrive on the perimeter. He’s got three-point range, but at this point in his development, he’s more of a slasher than he is a standstill jump-shooter.
The question mark with Pope is his health. He’s ranked No. 17 in the Class of 2014 by Rivals, but most other publications have dropped him from the five-star range. Pope, a native of Elk Grove, CA, broke his leg during his high school season, which cost him the April and July evaluation periods. He recently reinjured the same leg and had a screw implanted.
This is a kid that everyone in the country was recruiting before his injury, which means that he’ll be an instant impact player for Steve Fisher if he can get back to full strength.
Pope joins Trey Kell and Kavin Zabo in SDSU’s recruiting class.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)