Oct 10, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
San Diego State landed their third commitment in the Class of 2014, as Malik Pope announced on Wednesday night that he would be an Aztec when he gets to college.
Pope has all the physical tools to be a terrific player at the collegiate level. At 6-foot-8, he’s an explosive wing that can run the floor and has the ball skills to be able to thrive on the perimeter. He’s got three-point range, but at this point in his development, he’s more of a slasher than he is a standstill jump-shooter.
The question mark with Pope is his health. He’s ranked No. 17 in the Class of 2014 by Rivals, but most other publications have dropped him from the five-star range. Pope, a native of Elk Grove, CA, broke his leg during his high school season, which cost him the April and July evaluation periods. He recently reinjured the same leg and had a screw implanted.
This is a kid that everyone in the country was recruiting before his injury, which means that he’ll be an instant impact player for Steve Fisher if he can get back to full strength.
Pope joins Trey Kell and Kavin Zabo in SDSU’s recruiting class.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)