Oct 11, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
On Friday morning Iowa’s 2014 recruiting class gained a member, as 6-foot-8 forward Dominique Uhl announced his decision to attend the Big Ten school on SNY.tv. Uhl, who lives in Point Pleasant Beach, N.J., is a native of Germany and picked the Hawkeyes over Boston College and Temple.
Uhl, who weighs 190 pounds, is a slender forward who is expected to be a wing in Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery’s system. And adding Uhl to the mix is important given the fact that the Hawkeyes will lose two forwards at the conclusion of the 2013-14 season (guard Devyn Marble is also a senior).
“They see me as a three, maybe a four to play against smaller players,” Uhl told Zagoria. “They like my skill set, that I can handle the ball and shoot, too.”
Uhl fills a need for Iowa, which loses forwards Zach McCabe and Melsahn Basabe this year. Uhl will add versatility and depth at forward behind Aaron White and Jarrod Uthoff in 2014-15. He’ll likely compete for minutes with Kyle Meyer.
As a junior at Point Pleasant Beach High, Uhl averaged ten points and ten rebounds per contest on a team that won the New Jersey Group I state title and finished 27-4 last season. Point Pleasant Beach fell to Atlantic City in the first round of the New Jersey Tournament of Champions 80-73 in double overtime, with Uhl tallying 11 points and 12 rebounds in the defeat.
Uhl joins shooting guard Brady Ellingson as 2014 prospects verbally committed to attend Iowa. Below is video of Uhl’s commitment.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)