Oct 11, 2013, 12:04 PM EST
On Friday morning Iowa’s 2014 recruiting class gained a member, as 6-foot-8 forward Dominique Uhl announced his decision to attend the Big Ten school on SNY.tv. Uhl, who lives in Point Pleasant Beach, N.J., is a native of Germany and picked the Hawkeyes over Boston College and Temple.
Uhl, who weighs 190 pounds, is a slender forward who is expected to be a wing in Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery’s system. And adding Uhl to the mix is important given the fact that the Hawkeyes will lose two forwards at the conclusion of the 2013-14 season (guard Devyn Marble is also a senior).
“They see me as a three, maybe a four to play against smaller players,” Uhl told Zagoria. “They like my skill set, that I can handle the ball and shoot, too.”
Uhl fills a need for Iowa, which loses forwards Zach McCabe and Melsahn Basabe this year. Uhl will add versatility and depth at forward behind Aaron White and Jarrod Uthoff in 2014-15. He’ll likely compete for minutes with Kyle Meyer.
As a junior at Point Pleasant Beach High, Uhl averaged ten points and ten rebounds per contest on a team that won the New Jersey Group I state title and finished 27-4 last season. Point Pleasant Beach fell to Atlantic City in the first round of the New Jersey Tournament of Champions 80-73 in double overtime, with Uhl tallying 11 points and 12 rebounds in the defeat.
Uhl joins shooting guard Brady Ellingson as 2014 prospects verbally committed to attend Iowa. Below is video of Uhl’s commitment.
- Bubble Banter: Whose tournament hopes are on the line on Tuesday night? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)