Oct 11, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
It’s never too early to begin setting up non-conference schedules for future seasons, as it was announced on Thursday that UNLV and Kansas have agreed to a home-and-home series beginning with the 2014-15 season. That game will be played in Lawrence, with UNLV hosting the return game at the Thomas & Mack Center at some point during the 2016-17 campaign.
With a strong non-conference schedule (and wins against quality opponents, of course) being one of the factors that the NCAA tournament selection committee looks at when picking the Field of 68, match-ups like this help bolster the teams’ respective resumes. And it’s also a game that can help both the Jayhawks (Big 12) and Runnin’ Rebels (Mountain West) prepare for their respective conference slates, as each team faces tough competition in league play.
“We are very excited to start this series with Kansas,” UNLV head coach Dave Rice said in the release. “Kansas has one of the most successful, storied programs in college basketball history. Adding the Jayhawks to our schedule is consistent with our philosophy of playing a very competitive non-conference schedule.”
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 3
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)