Oct 11, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
It’s never too early to begin setting up non-conference schedules for future seasons, as it was announced on Thursday that UNLV and Kansas have agreed to a home-and-home series beginning with the 2014-15 season. That game will be played in Lawrence, with UNLV hosting the return game at the Thomas & Mack Center at some point during the 2016-17 campaign.
With a strong non-conference schedule (and wins against quality opponents, of course) being one of the factors that the NCAA tournament selection committee looks at when picking the Field of 68, match-ups like this help bolster the teams’ respective resumes. And it’s also a game that can help both the Jayhawks (Big 12) and Runnin’ Rebels (Mountain West) prepare for their respective conference slates, as each team faces tough competition in league play.
“We are very excited to start this series with Kansas,” UNLV head coach Dave Rice said in the release. “Kansas has one of the most successful, storied programs in college basketball history. Adding the Jayhawks to our schedule is consistent with our philosophy of playing a very competitive non-conference schedule.”
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)