Oct 11, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
It’s never too early to begin setting up non-conference schedules for future seasons, as it was announced on Thursday that UNLV and Kansas have agreed to a home-and-home series beginning with the 2014-15 season. That game will be played in Lawrence, with UNLV hosting the return game at the Thomas & Mack Center at some point during the 2016-17 campaign.
With a strong non-conference schedule (and wins against quality opponents, of course) being one of the factors that the NCAA tournament selection committee looks at when picking the Field of 68, match-ups like this help bolster the teams’ respective resumes. And it’s also a game that can help both the Jayhawks (Big 12) and Runnin’ Rebels (Mountain West) prepare for their respective conference slates, as each team faces tough competition in league play.
“We are very excited to start this series with Kansas,” UNLV head coach Dave Rice said in the release. “Kansas has one of the most successful, storied programs in college basketball history. Adding the Jayhawks to our schedule is consistent with our philosophy of playing a very competitive non-conference schedule.”
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)