Oct 12, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
More Midnight Madness action continued on Friday night after a few schools like Kansas and Indiana began their festivities last weekend. This weekend, Marquette was the big program to host their kickoff event as 4,000 fans went to the Al McGuire Center to check out Marquette Madness on Friday night.
The event featured a scrimmage for both the men’s and women’s teams, a dunk contest, a three-point contest and a Marquette Madness “Lifetime Achievement” award given to senior center Chris Otule.
Among the highlights of the event included Otule’s award (see video below of the tribute video, which includes some humorous montage moments), redshirt senior Jake Thomas winning the three-point contest with 22 triples in one minute and freshman wing JaJuan Johnson leading the men’s scrimmage with 12 points and six assists.
Then, of course, there was the dunk contest and the contributions of local freshman wing Deonte Burton. The powerful lefty has been making highlight-reel plays since he was a freshman in high school and he’s the new, proud owner of the Marquette Madness dunk contest title with some of the ridiculous throwdowns he had (video below).
There’s not much to take from these Madness events, except that they’re obviously fun for the fans. Marquette should be pleased with the contributions of two of their freshman — Johnson and Burton — however, as both could see early minutes this season on the wing.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)