Oct 12, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
More Midnight Madness action continued on Friday night after a few schools like Kansas and Indiana began their festivities last weekend. This weekend, Marquette was the big program to host their kickoff event as 4,000 fans went to the Al McGuire Center to check out Marquette Madness on Friday night.
The event featured a scrimmage for both the men’s and women’s teams, a dunk contest, a three-point contest and a Marquette Madness “Lifetime Achievement” award given to senior center Chris Otule.
Among the highlights of the event included Otule’s award (see video below of the tribute video, which includes some humorous montage moments), redshirt senior Jake Thomas winning the three-point contest with 22 triples in one minute and freshman wing JaJuan Johnson leading the men’s scrimmage with 12 points and six assists.
Then, of course, there was the dunk contest and the contributions of local freshman wing Deonte Burton. The powerful lefty has been making highlight-reel plays since he was a freshman in high school and he’s the new, proud owner of the Marquette Madness dunk contest title with some of the ridiculous throwdowns he had (video below).
There’s not much to take from these Madness events, except that they’re obviously fun for the fans. Marquette should be pleased with the contributions of two of their freshman — Johnson and Burton — however, as both could see early minutes this season on the wing.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)