Oct 12, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
More Midnight Madness action continued on Friday night after a few schools like Kansas and Indiana began their festivities last weekend. This weekend, Marquette was the big program to host their kickoff event as 4,000 fans went to the Al McGuire Center to check out Marquette Madness on Friday night.
The event featured a scrimmage for both the men’s and women’s teams, a dunk contest, a three-point contest and a Marquette Madness “Lifetime Achievement” award given to senior center Chris Otule.
Among the highlights of the event included Otule’s award (see video below of the tribute video, which includes some humorous montage moments), redshirt senior Jake Thomas winning the three-point contest with 22 triples in one minute and freshman wing JaJuan Johnson leading the men’s scrimmage with 12 points and six assists.
Then, of course, there was the dunk contest and the contributions of local freshman wing Deonte Burton. The powerful lefty has been making highlight-reel plays since he was a freshman in high school and he’s the new, proud owner of the Marquette Madness dunk contest title with some of the ridiculous throwdowns he had (video below).
There’s not much to take from these Madness events, except that they’re obviously fun for the fans. Marquette should be pleased with the contributions of two of their freshman — Johnson and Burton — however, as both could see early minutes this season on the wing.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)