Oct 12, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
My man Rob Dauster laid out the case for Arizona State as a potential Top 25 team earlier this month, while stopping just short of actually assigning them one of the coveted preseason numbers. It’s a reasonable precaution – we’ve seen Herb Sendek do more with less and less with more and we’re all waiting to see what the punchline will be.
Looking at the team on paper, the case is strong. They have a lightning-quick, creative point guard in Jahii Carson, and a bulky, defensive-minded center in Jordan Bachynski. Around the inside-out duo is a collection of talent that can wreak havoc if harnessed properly.
One player who doesn’t get mentioned as often is freshman Shaquielle McKissic. He’s inarguably skilled, but he’s also raw. Evidence of how he’d play on hardwood was required in order to lend credence to his paper credentials.
Now Sun Devils fans have the evidence they covet. McKissic threw down 33 points in a scrimmage observed by 3,000 fans and media members, and his coach had good things to say about what he saw.
If McKissic delivers on his early promise, and Carson and Sendek can weld Arizona State’s individuals into a high-functioning team, That “Also Receiving Votes” spot may be just a pit stop on the way to a Top 25 ranking.
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)