Oct 12, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Washington State took a big blow to start their 2013-14 campaign as the school announced Friday that junior college transfer and junior point guard Danny Lawhorn was leaving the team. The news was first reported by Jacob Thorne of The Spokesman-Review and it means that the Cougars will still be seeking answers at point guard.
In a statement through the athletic department, Washington State head coach Ken Bone said, “We wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.”
Lawson, who was suspended for a violation of team rules in late September, averaged 9.5 assists per game and 8.4 assists per game in his freshman and sophomore seasons at San Jacinto (Tx.) Junior College, which was best in the nation his freshman year and second in the country his sophomore season.
Making matters worse for Washington State: they chose Lawson over freshman big man Tanner Lancona when they were tight on scholarships. The Cougars eventually released Lancona from his letter of intent and he signed with Saint Louis.
Washington State has been looking for a full-time point guard since they dismissed Reggie Moore before last season. Lawhorn was supposed to help settle the position as it became clear that junior Royce Woolridge was better suited off-the-ball after an experiment at point guard last season, but now the Cougars will likely turn to freshman point guard Ike Iroegbu to help stabilize the point.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 9
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 17
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (17)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)