Oct 12, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Washington State took a big blow to start their 2013-14 campaign as the school announced Friday that junior college transfer and junior point guard Danny Lawhorn was leaving the team. The news was first reported by Jacob Thorne of The Spokesman-Review and it means that the Cougars will still be seeking answers at point guard.
In a statement through the athletic department, Washington State head coach Ken Bone said, “We wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.”
Lawson, who was suspended for a violation of team rules in late September, averaged 9.5 assists per game and 8.4 assists per game in his freshman and sophomore seasons at San Jacinto (Tx.) Junior College, which was best in the nation his freshman year and second in the country his sophomore season.
Making matters worse for Washington State: they chose Lawson over freshman big man Tanner Lancona when they were tight on scholarships. The Cougars eventually released Lancona from his letter of intent and he signed with Saint Louis.
Washington State has been looking for a full-time point guard since they dismissed Reggie Moore before last season. Lawhorn was supposed to help settle the position as it became clear that junior Royce Woolridge was better suited off-the-ball after an experiment at point guard last season, but now the Cougars will likely turn to freshman point guard Ike Iroegbu to help stabilize the point.
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 1
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)