Oct 12, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Washington State took a big blow to start their 2013-14 campaign as the school announced Friday that junior college transfer and junior point guard Danny Lawhorn was leaving the team. The news was first reported by Jacob Thorne of The Spokesman-Review and it means that the Cougars will still be seeking answers at point guard.
In a statement through the athletic department, Washington State head coach Ken Bone said, “We wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.”
Lawson, who was suspended for a violation of team rules in late September, averaged 9.5 assists per game and 8.4 assists per game in his freshman and sophomore seasons at San Jacinto (Tx.) Junior College, which was best in the nation his freshman year and second in the country his sophomore season.
Making matters worse for Washington State: they chose Lawson over freshman big man Tanner Lancona when they were tight on scholarships. The Cougars eventually released Lancona from his letter of intent and he signed with Saint Louis.
Washington State has been looking for a full-time point guard since they dismissed Reggie Moore before last season. Lawhorn was supposed to help settle the position as it became clear that junior Royce Woolridge was better suited off-the-ball after an experiment at point guard last season, but now the Cougars will likely turn to freshman point guard Ike Iroegbu to help stabilize the point.
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)