Oct 12, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Washington State took a big blow to start their 2013-14 campaign as the school announced Friday that junior college transfer and junior point guard Danny Lawhorn was leaving the team. The news was first reported by Jacob Thorne of The Spokesman-Review and it means that the Cougars will still be seeking answers at point guard.
In a statement through the athletic department, Washington State head coach Ken Bone said, “We wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.”
Lawson, who was suspended for a violation of team rules in late September, averaged 9.5 assists per game and 8.4 assists per game in his freshman and sophomore seasons at San Jacinto (Tx.) Junior College, which was best in the nation his freshman year and second in the country his sophomore season.
Making matters worse for Washington State: they chose Lawson over freshman big man Tanner Lancona when they were tight on scholarships. The Cougars eventually released Lancona from his letter of intent and he signed with Saint Louis.
Washington State has been looking for a full-time point guard since they dismissed Reggie Moore before last season. Lawhorn was supposed to help settle the position as it became clear that junior Royce Woolridge was better suited off-the-ball after an experiment at point guard last season, but now the Cougars will likely turn to freshman point guard Ike Iroegbu to help stabilize the point.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)