Oct 12, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Washington State took a big blow to start their 2013-14 campaign as the school announced Friday that junior college transfer and junior point guard Danny Lawhorn was leaving the team. The news was first reported by Jacob Thorne of The Spokesman-Review and it means that the Cougars will still be seeking answers at point guard.
In a statement through the athletic department, Washington State head coach Ken Bone said, “We wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.”
Lawson, who was suspended for a violation of team rules in late September, averaged 9.5 assists per game and 8.4 assists per game in his freshman and sophomore seasons at San Jacinto (Tx.) Junior College, which was best in the nation his freshman year and second in the country his sophomore season.
Making matters worse for Washington State: they chose Lawson over freshman big man Tanner Lancona when they were tight on scholarships. The Cougars eventually released Lancona from his letter of intent and he signed with Saint Louis.
Washington State has been looking for a full-time point guard since they dismissed Reggie Moore before last season. Lawhorn was supposed to help settle the position as it became clear that junior Royce Woolridge was better suited off-the-ball after an experiment at point guard last season, but now the Cougars will likely turn to freshman point guard Ike Iroegbu to help stabilize the point.
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 2
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 1
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)