Oct 13, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
With a heart condition ending the career of freshman guard D.J. Bowles, Wichita State was in a position where they needed to add a guard to the program in their 2014 recruiting class. On Sunday the Shockers landed a verbal commitment from 6-foot-3 shooting guard Corey Henderson Jr., who made his decision after officially visiting the Missouri Valley Conference school this weekend.
Henderson is Wichita State’s third commitment in the 2014 class, as he joins 6-foot-7 small forward Zach Brown and 6-foot-6 forward Rashard Kelly. Henderson’s a native of Dallas, where he’s picked up experience at both guard positions playing for his father at the Episcopal School.
Henderson said his son can play both guard positions, although point guard is his main job at Episcopal. He gets most of his points driving to the basket and on mid-range shots. When open, he makes spot-up three-pointers, his father said.
“He’s learned to be more aggressive attacking the basket,” Corey Henderson Sr. said. “They’re getting a really heady player. Great court vision. High IQ. He loves having that ball in his hands.”
When he arrives on campus next year Henderson Jr. will join a backcourt that includes current junior Tekele Cotton, sophomores Ron Baker and Fred Van Vleet and freshman Rian Holland. If the small forward position is included the Shockers will lose two contributors after this season in Cleanthony Early and Nick Wiggins, with Early being a preseason favorite for MVC Player of the Year honors.
Here are a few highlights of the versatile guard in action.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 2
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)