Oct 13, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
Just five days after four-star big man Elbert Robinson announced that he would be an LSU Tiger head coach Johnny Jones received a fourth verbal commitment in the 2014 class, this one coming from 5-foot-11 point guard Jalyn Patterson according to multiple outlets. Patterson, a native of Alpharetta, Ga., joins Robinson and power forward/center Aaron Epps in LSU’s 2014 class.
Patterson currently attends Montverde Academy in Florida, and he announced his decision to attend LSU on the heels of his official visit to the school this weekend. Patterson’s three-pointer in the final seconds of the title game of the National High School Invitational back in April pushed Montverde past St. Benedict’s Prep, resulting in the Eagles finishing the season ranked atop both the ESPN and USA Today national polls.
That Montverde squad included guards Kasey Hill (Florida) and D’Angelo Russell (Ohio State verbal commitment), forward Ben Simmons (considered by many to be one of the top prospects in the 2015 class) and center Dakari Johnson (Kentucky). Kevin Boyle’s team finished the season with a 25-2 record. Patterson played with the Atlanta Celtics during the spring/summer.
With Andre Stringer (senior) and Anthony Hickey (junior) being upperclassmen, Patterson’s verbal commitment gives LSU some extra depth at the point guard position to go along with highly-regarded freshman Tim Quarterman. At the end of the 2013-14 season the Tigers stand to lose at least two scholarship players in Stringer and small forward Shavon Coleman.
Here are a few clips of Patterson in action with the Celtics.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)