Oct 13, 2013, 4:25 PM EDT
Just five days after four-star big man Elbert Robinson announced that he would be an LSU Tiger head coach Johnny Jones received a fourth verbal commitment in the 2014 class, this one coming from 5-foot-11 point guard Jalyn Patterson according to multiple outlets. Patterson, a native of Alpharetta, Ga., joins Robinson and power forward/center Aaron Epps in LSU’s 2014 class.
Patterson currently attends Montverde Academy in Florida, and he announced his decision to attend LSU on the heels of his official visit to the school this weekend. Patterson’s three-pointer in the final seconds of the title game of the National High School Invitational back in April pushed Montverde past St. Benedict’s Prep, resulting in the Eagles finishing the season ranked atop both the ESPN and USA Today national polls.
That Montverde squad included guards Kasey Hill (Florida) and D’Angelo Russell (Ohio State verbal commitment), forward Ben Simmons (considered by many to be one of the top prospects in the 2015 class) and center Dakari Johnson (Kentucky). Kevin Boyle’s team finished the season with a 25-2 record. Patterson played with the Atlanta Celtics during the spring/summer.
With Andre Stringer (senior) and Anthony Hickey (junior) being upperclassmen, Patterson’s verbal commitment gives LSU some extra depth at the point guard position to go along with highly-regarded freshman Tim Quarterman. At the end of the 2013-14 season the Tigers stand to lose at least two scholarship players in Stringer and small forward Shavon Coleman.
Here are a few clips of Patterson in action with the Celtics.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)