Oct 13, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
Just five days after four-star big man Elbert Robinson announced that he would be an LSU Tiger head coach Johnny Jones received a fourth verbal commitment in the 2014 class, this one coming from 5-foot-11 point guard Jalyn Patterson according to multiple outlets. Patterson, a native of Alpharetta, Ga., joins Robinson and power forward/center Aaron Epps in LSU’s 2014 class.
Patterson currently attends Montverde Academy in Florida, and he announced his decision to attend LSU on the heels of his official visit to the school this weekend. Patterson’s three-pointer in the final seconds of the title game of the National High School Invitational back in April pushed Montverde past St. Benedict’s Prep, resulting in the Eagles finishing the season ranked atop both the ESPN and USA Today national polls.
That Montverde squad included guards Kasey Hill (Florida) and D’Angelo Russell (Ohio State verbal commitment), forward Ben Simmons (considered by many to be one of the top prospects in the 2015 class) and center Dakari Johnson (Kentucky). Kevin Boyle’s team finished the season with a 25-2 record. Patterson played with the Atlanta Celtics during the spring/summer.
With Andre Stringer (senior) and Anthony Hickey (junior) being upperclassmen, Patterson’s verbal commitment gives LSU some extra depth at the point guard position to go along with highly-regarded freshman Tim Quarterman. At the end of the 2013-14 season the Tigers stand to lose at least two scholarship players in Stringer and small forward Shavon Coleman.
Here are a few clips of Patterson in action with the Celtics.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)