Oct 13, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
Just five days after four-star big man Elbert Robinson announced that he would be an LSU Tiger head coach Johnny Jones received a fourth verbal commitment in the 2014 class, this one coming from 5-foot-11 point guard Jalyn Patterson according to multiple outlets. Patterson, a native of Alpharetta, Ga., joins Robinson and power forward/center Aaron Epps in LSU’s 2014 class.
Patterson currently attends Montverde Academy in Florida, and he announced his decision to attend LSU on the heels of his official visit to the school this weekend. Patterson’s three-pointer in the final seconds of the title game of the National High School Invitational back in April pushed Montverde past St. Benedict’s Prep, resulting in the Eagles finishing the season ranked atop both the ESPN and USA Today national polls.
That Montverde squad included guards Kasey Hill (Florida) and D’Angelo Russell (Ohio State verbal commitment), forward Ben Simmons (considered by many to be one of the top prospects in the 2015 class) and center Dakari Johnson (Kentucky). Kevin Boyle’s team finished the season with a 25-2 record. Patterson played with the Atlanta Celtics during the spring/summer.
With Andre Stringer (senior) and Anthony Hickey (junior) being upperclassmen, Patterson’s verbal commitment gives LSU some extra depth at the point guard position to go along with highly-regarded freshman Tim Quarterman. At the end of the 2013-14 season the Tigers stand to lose at least two scholarship players in Stringer and small forward Shavon Coleman.
Here are a few clips of Patterson in action with the Celtics.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday’s slate is thrilling from noon until midnight 1
- UCLA has a lot to learn if they are going to be a contender in the Pac-12 0
- Rasheed Sulaimon climbs out of the doghouse in No. 8 Duke’s 80-63 win 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who will be the next undefeated team to lose? 2
- Texas hangs on to beat No. 14 North Carolina in Chapel Hill 4
- Report: Former North Carolina guard Will Graves arrested on drug charges at home owned by head coach Roy Williams (20)
- Kentucky is a flawed team, but does that mean they can’t contend? (12)
- WATCH: Southern Illinois coach Barry Hinson unloads in press conference (9)
- Leslie McDonald has been cleared, while reports say P.J. Hairston unlikely to play this season (7)
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate (5)