Oct 14, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Saint Mary’s and head coach Randy Bennett have lost an appeal to the NCAA to have their sanctions dropped according to John Infante of the Bylaw Blog.
Bennett will serve a five-game this season during WCC games and the program will lose two scholarships in the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons, for what the NCAA deemed a failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance.
Bennett appealed both the findings and the sanctions (he was required to file a separate appeal for the penalties assessed to him) and lost both cases based on the findings.
John Infante of the Bylaw Blog broke down the rulings:
Bennett challenged not just the suspension imposed on him but also the findings of the Committee on Infractions. The Infractions Appeals Committee did not rule on one of Bennett’s points, that the Notice of Allegations was too unspecific. Instead, the IAC simply ruled that there was enough evidence presented to the COI to find the violations charged and those violations were enough to support the penalty imposed on Bennett.
The good news for the Gaels is that the NCAA sanctions didn’t change their postseason aspirations, although the loss of Bennett during five conference games will hurt them this season. The scholarship losses should affect Saint Mary’s in future seasons, but not in the immediate future.
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 6
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 6
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 67
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 15
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (67)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)