Oct 15, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
More and more, transfers are becoming an integral part of college basketball.
As such, figuring out precisely how a player will fit in with his new team is becoming an integral part of the preseason prognostication process.
And as you might expect, someone smarter than your average writer as tried to figure out an answer. Ken Pomeroy, founder of KenPom.com and writing for ESPN’s Insider, developed a formula to try to determine exactly how effective these transfers will be at their new schools.
What KenPom found was that Memphis transfer Michael Dixon, Missouri transfer Jordan Clarkson and San Diego State transfer Josh Davis will be three of the newcomers likely to have the biggest impact. That’s not a surprise, as those are three names that every expert has managed to come up with simply by looking at a box score. Dixon was one of the best players on a 30-win Missouri team, Clarkson averaged 16.5 points at Tulsa and Davis was a contender for Conference USA Player of the Year a season ago.
The two names that KenPom dug up that most haven’t discussed ad nauseum? Richie Edwards, who is heading to Arizona State from Valpo, and Four McGlynn, who joins Towson after a year at Vermont. McGlynn would make sense. He’s a shooter that will spread the floor for a talented Tigers team. Edwards, however, is a bit of a weird pick seeing as he’s the third-most notable transfer that Arizona State brings in and likely to find himself playing limited minutes this year.
Read through the rest of KenPom’s analysis here.
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 0
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)