Oct 15, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
More and more, transfers are becoming an integral part of college basketball.
As such, figuring out precisely how a player will fit in with his new team is becoming an integral part of the preseason prognostication process.
And as you might expect, someone smarter than your average writer as tried to figure out an answer. Ken Pomeroy, founder of KenPom.com and writing for ESPN’s Insider, developed a formula to try to determine exactly how effective these transfers will be at their new schools.
What KenPom found was that Memphis transfer Michael Dixon, Missouri transfer Jordan Clarkson and San Diego State transfer Josh Davis will be three of the newcomers likely to have the biggest impact. That’s not a surprise, as those are three names that every expert has managed to come up with simply by looking at a box score. Dixon was one of the best players on a 30-win Missouri team, Clarkson averaged 16.5 points at Tulsa and Davis was a contender for Conference USA Player of the Year a season ago.
The two names that KenPom dug up that most haven’t discussed ad nauseum? Richie Edwards, who is heading to Arizona State from Valpo, and Four McGlynn, who joins Towson after a year at Vermont. McGlynn would make sense. He’s a shooter that will spread the floor for a talented Tigers team. Edwards, however, is a bit of a weird pick seeing as he’s the third-most notable transfer that Arizona State brings in and likely to find himself playing limited minutes this year.
Read through the rest of KenPom’s analysis here.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 5
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)